Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been haunting me since I've planned on installing either 19's or 20's into it.

I understand that lowering the car with the airmatic suspension would be best by installing a module. Brabus of Newport Beach quoted $2K to do it. My local and reputable aftermarket wheel contact said they work with someone who can do it for a little over half that price.

Would you rather get 20's and forget about lowering the car? This way, you don't have to mess with its warranty. Or is it worth doing it to minimize the gap and improve its look.

Also, my car is Iridium Silver and I'm thinking of black wheels with maybe a silver lip. Any suggestions on brands/manufacturer would be greatly appreciated.

Finally, I'm planning on a staggered set. Would you go for 245s or 255s in the front and 275s or 285s rear?

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm running 20's with 285's and I used the washer method to lower my airmatic. The car sits about 2" lower and I have no rubbing issues.

·
Registered
21 Posts
do a search its been covered in detail here or on an other bord. To sum it up you are basically fooling the airmatic controll. Your car thinks it sits higher than it actually is thereby lowering it to your satisfaction ( the amount of washers you use, 4 washers beeing max amount (about 2 inches lower)). Can be easily installed/adjusted without removing wheels in front and dirt cheap mod!!!! $1.00 worth of washers.

It's almost like technician using STAR diag. to lower wehicle. Plus the switch in your center console still raises vehicle, just not as high as it used to.

One sensor on each front side(top, rear of spring perch, and one on rear, center of vehicle above axle somwhere on I think the swaybar. Place washer between sensor mounting bolt(10mm nut) and chassis, remount sensor. Don't forget to reset airmatic by cycling raise/lower switch and voila. Also have had no problems with suspension after doing mod and is very simple to reverse if you dont like it!!!

Like I said do a search I think "washer method" or "washer lowering" either here or at mbworlddotorg.

Happy lowering

1 - 6 of 6 Posts