Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holey moley! its going to hit 106F here today and most of Socal will be in triple digits today! perfect I get a day off from work and its just to plain hot to drive my SL, I can just image a hose blowing on the car and stranding me! even the coast will be hot and humid,last 2 days temps were at 105F,they predict 107 tomorrow,I like nice sunny weather but this is crazy hot! my neighbor Rick just loves this hot weather,I asked him why??? he say's that's when cars break down,he owns his own repair shop! lol, so I will not chance overheating my 20 year old car! what about you? would you stress your SL?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
It was triple digits here over the weekend. I am looking at moving to Coastal North County San Diego and looked at houses all day on Saturday.........It was 77 degrees there!!! I'm sold!! Nearly 30 degrees difference from where I live to where I am moving, AWESOME!!!

Yes, I drive my SA on hot days. It runs flawlessly cool and its AC is freezing cold. Even on the hottest of days, I end up turning the AC blower down to level one or two. It is that cold.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
That is a typical day in the Central Valley.

What's all the complaining about? :)

Besides John don't you live in the "inland empirw" - the high desert?

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
It never gets to 100 here in Tampa that I know of, but it's consistently in the mid 90s with very high humidity for many months of the year.

Has absolutely no affect on my cars, W140, R129, whatever.

If the can is in good running condition and properly maintained, I can't imagine why this would be an issue.

Dan enjoying lunch in the park today

·
Registered
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes but haven't seen this heat in years here,heck it was still 95 at 10PM,I did replace all coolant with correct stuff ,but hoses are still old and it basically cooks under the hood! don't want to see my new hood pad laying on the engine!haha,guess I'm to protective with my baby! Kia all day!

·
Registered
379 Posts
It was triple digest here over the weekend. I am looking at moving to Coastal North County San Diego and looked at houses all day on Saturday.........It was 77 degrees there!!! I'm sold!! Nearly 30 degrees difference from where I live to where I am moving, AWESOME!!!

Yes, I drive my SA on hot days. It runs flawlessly cool and its AC is freezing cold. Even on the hottest of days, I end up turning the AC blower down to level one or two. It is that cold.
I lived in Solana Beach for two years and the weather was great. The only downside is it has become a bit crowded (who can blame people?) and it is pricey but such is the cost for a spot in near paradise.

Presently, I live in Yorba Linda (North Orange County) and it's expected to be near 105! Palm Springs is going to be 108!! Thank God for a/c and cold beer!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
If the can is in good running condition
I always make certain that my cans are in top condition, especially the ones that used to have soup in them! :wink

I lived in Solana Beach!
I'm looking at Del Mar, Solana Beach, Cardiff and Carlsbad. I loved one place I looked at in Del Mar and I have one last place to look at in Carlsbad, then I'll be making my decision. I hope to have it figured out by the end of this week.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'm looking at Del Mar, Solana Beach, Cardiff and Carlsbad. I loved one place I looked at in Del Mar and I have one last place to look at in Carlsbad, then I'll be making my decision. I hope to have it figured out by the end of this week.[/QUOTE]

Carlsbad will give you the most bang for the buck. I have a client down at the Palomar Airport area and it's always a pleasure to visit his company. I too could wind up in Carlsbad in a few years....that is if I don't die from heat exposure today.

Good luck with your move!:)

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
If it got to 100 in Tampa with the humidity I'd imagine people would be dying! For August in Sacramento it has been unusually cool - most years it is 100 or over every day - this month - maybe half the days?

Mark Twain once spent a year here comparing the summers to Hades. Next year he was in San Francisco where he made his famous observation "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco"

But to me the absolute most miserable summer I spent was 2 weeks doing cold sales calls - outside - in Phoenix. I bought an ice chest and threw a 6 pack of coke in the back seat.

I remember it was 117 and 90% humidity one day. Didn't used to be that way but all the pools and golf courses did it.

It was at that moment I realized why half the state of Arizona comes to San Diego in the summer.

·
Registered
865 Posts
If it gets too hot I do what Sapphire does simply turn the AC on and its just fine. You guys out there need some of this in your morning coffee to harden up a bit. :D
Here in So Cal, in the summer we put the AC on in the winter we put the heat on and drive in December.

Living in So Cal, we have many more days to enjoy top down motoring, so when it is this hot, why bother? I get out of the car with a soaking wet back and ass crack.

I completely understand why in other parts of the country, you will drive the SL every day possible since you have maybe a 3-5mo window.

·
Registered
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just hit 106F at 2PM,its not the hottest time of the day yet! peaks at 4PM,have pool pump running ,a/c on in the house,cold beer in the fridge ,set for the day! please don't send my bill this month!LOL
You know I like Carlsbad ,also,its on the coast,says cool,but prices are high! Temecula as a crow fly's is about 30 miles off the coast but in a valley so we get heat! big time! I feel sorry for the grapes nearby at all the wineries,those things must be cooking by now,harvest is usually in Sept/Oct.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
I lived in Sandy Eggo for a few years back in the early 80s. The weird thing about that weather - in the summer - the coast area - San Diego / Carlsbad / Del Mar - can be a nice 80-85 degrees - drive 15 miles east to El Cajon and it can be 100.

·
R129 HTT Founder Member
7,499 Posts
@LAMike240, brother you are just like me. When its humid as balls thats when I say efff it, I'll just go in the other car and blast the AC, to be honest I don't get much joy driving the car with a closed top or hardtop. Man I would kill for a quality air conditioned seat on this car, then no swamp ass on hotter than usual days.

·
Registered
865 Posts
@LAMike240, brother you are just like me. When its humid as balls thats when I say efff it, I'll just go in the other car and blast the AC, to be honest I don't get much joy driving the car with a closed top or hardtop. Man I would kill for a quality air conditioned seat on this car, then no swamp ass on hotter than usual days.
Pete, my other car, an 03 Acura TL-s with 245k on it also has a black leather interior. It NEVER gets as bad as the SL as far as the seats heating up. I don;t know what it is. Even with the top down.

Good think I enjoy driving the Acura as much as the SL!

·
Administrator
8,693 Posts
Last year I did the ultimate air conditioning test in my 1998 Sl500

Obsidian black car with the glass pano roof, outside temperature 44.5ºC , inside nice and cool.
I opened the door and stepped out, I could have cooked a pizza

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
About this Discussion
38 Replies
16 Participants
MSrobots
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing