Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1988 300E, 2006 E350 wagon
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this question relates to a 1988 300E: i was just reinstalling the breather tube between the valve cover and the air filter housing. also attached to the breather tube is a small clear/whitish plastic tube that sticks into the bottom. while reinserting this plastic tubing i didn't realize how brittle it was, and well snap! i now have two pieces. so i put them back together with electrical tape and reinserted the tube. can anyone tell me what this tube is for? is it a vacuum line? should i get on the ball and find a replacement for it? so far it doesn't seem to affect the car in any way... if i'm not being clear about this let me know and i'll post pics. thanks.

·
Registered
95 E320 Cabriolet, 140K
1,332 Posts
It sounds like a vacuum line. I don't know what it's for, but it's not unusual for lines like this to get brittle with heat and age, and snap with the slightest touch. Fortunately, replacement lines are available from your local auto supply house. They may not be the same color (they'll probably be black), but they should work just the same. Just do your homework to buy the right size and length. It may be best to bring the piece in.

As long as you're at it, inspect all the other hoses under the hood. Replace any that seem unusually hard and brittle. It's best to head off these problems.

·
Registered
1994 E320
1,730 Posts
The exact same thing happened to me. This spagetti hose appears to be connected to the idle control valve, but the car's performance was not hampered in any way (my mechanic said that the hose is "useless.")
What I did was to find a piece of small-diameter rubber hose and connect the two pieces together, and simply reattach them to their respective orifices at either end. Problem solved.

Hope this helps,
Shady

·
Registered
1988 300E, 2006 E350 wagon
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies, guys. shady, you and i think alike. i picked up a piece of rubber tubing at work today for the same type of repair as you did. i like your spaghetti description - i thought of it like a coffee stirrer-sized straw.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts