Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz 1998 E320 - 160,000 Miles Strong
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if its just me or does anyone else seem to break something either on purpose or by accident when working on their car? Hopefully I'm not alone in my frustrations. Thanks

-Sir Spadius Waller III

·
Registered
2013 E350/41k, 1997 E320/290k, 1999 FJ100/256k
314 Posts
On purpose - I read from the "Idiot's guide to keeping your Vollkswagen alive" when get that angry, put down the wrenches and take a break. Sometimes I'd like to beat the car and dent it up - for sure its time for a break.

Also, learning on this car, if get that flustered, work on it later. I'll probably forget something and mess it up. This car ain't as forgiving as others I've had before.

I started working on my *own* car in 1990 - we replaced the generator in a VW bug and plugged both positives into the dist - melted the points together. We towed to the shop via rope at 11pm and I got the brakes so hot on the 5 mile journey we had billows of smoke.

Latest goof - couple years and cars ago - tired, dim lighting - mis-connected jumpers - pos terminal was glowing red..

I look at the net/gross and explain to wife - I'll goof every now and then else overall WAY cheaper doing it myself, and helps me to forgive myself also.

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
Not to worry! I break wine and beer bottles all the time while working on my smoker, not others though!!!

·
Registered
Current 2017 GLE350, 2007 S550, 2002 S430, 1998 ML320 Deceased 74 240D, 92 400E, 97 E420, 13 GLK350
1,915 Posts
Duovalve disaster

OK - hot air blowing on only one side of AC vent? Obviously a Duovalve!

Upon disassembly managed to melt the top of my fuse box with a troublelight. Valve stem failure noted, but needed to reassemble to use car. Managed to pinch off a nearby vacuum line during Duo reassembly. Also worked hard to strip one of the star bolts when the sucker leaked coolant due to an unnoticed pinched vacuum line.

Since now I can't get the Duovalve top off to perform a rivet repair, ordered and got the new ($270) Duovalve for my 'orphan' M119 engine last week. Can't wait to see how I botch the upcoming transplant.

Sigh

·
Registered
1998 E320
119 Posts
i've broken pretty much everything i've worked on :mad: i got so angry while removing the tail lights last weekend that i broke the smaller part that goes on the trunk lid. i had to find one on craigslist :(

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz 1998 E320 - 160,000 Miles Strong
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I broke the hard brake booster hose trying to fix the vacuum box. Its retarded!

·
Registered
300CE-24, W204 C220 CDI, W210 E55 AMG, W124 300TE, W163 ML270 CDI
399 Posts
When i was cleaning the car interior, I managed to snap the power seat adjuster clean off. It was the back rest seat, so after i broke it, it simply just kept moving backward. And to top it off, it went backward to a point the left hinge in the seat sheared itself clean off!! COST ME an arm and a leg. But the payout was, I now have a passenger electric seat with Memory function :)

Also cracked the paint above the front fender when I was adjusting the front tyre one time. So damn obvious :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts