Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey my parents have a 1991 Mercedes 300 se. All I know is that its nice as fuck, bought brand new for 60,000 dollars, has power windows, sun roof, radio, leather seats, ac, heat, pretty much all of the upgrades you could get, and has 100,000 miles on it so far. Now my parents have pretty much babied it so far for its whole life and continue to do so today. I read somewhere that for MBs your supposed to drive them a lot or else they will break down on you. Is this true? because my dads work is about a min away and thats all he uses the mercedes for. Im in school and am arguing with him because i think i should be able to drive it at least some days so it will get a highway run in it and ill be able to open it up sometimes. He thinks thats bad for the car and he should only put 2 miles on it every day going to work. WHo do you think is right? or am i wrong with my logic?

·
Registered
2008 E320 Bluetec, 1988 560SL totalled unto death). 1997 Dodge Ram 1500, 1983 300CD
1,342 Posts
This is probably

my Old Fart side showing.

If I had a kid who wanted to drive my mint condition old Benz so he could "open it up sometimes" I would not only not let him but would consider not letting him drive anything I owned. Might also consider bouncing him off my insurance policy if he was on it.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,690 Posts
I still remember an accident in my area few years ago, when in prime neighborhood the father let young son drive his Mercedes. Young driver managed to drive 55mph on 35 mph street and wrapped the Mercedes with him inside on 8 foot diameter oak tree.
That is why my youngest is driving old diesel :D
2 miles trip without doing longer trip are not the healthiest for the cars, but 100,000 miles in 10 years indicate that the car is driven way more than that.

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
100,000 miles in 19 years --> 20.25 miles per weekday
The car has been driven around much more than you think.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,690 Posts
1991 to (almost 2011) is 20 years! ;)
My bad. Thanks for correction.
So the car was averaging 140 miles weekly with only 20 commuting miles?
Still suggest it was taken for good spins on weekends?
I guess our young friend is trying to find excuses to take's father's "baby" for a joy ride :D
How about starting with offer to help the father in detailing the car?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
okay okay, you got me. I am just looking for excuses so I can drive the car more often. And yes, it was driven more than 2 miles per work week. Im sure my parents drove it all over when it was in its prime, but for the past couple years or so and currently he only drives about 2 miles per day. I dont care if I dont get to drive it, id rather my dad still have a running car than that. So the general consensus is that it should be driven more as in highway runs and "opened up sometimes" rather than stop go stop go stop go work stop go stop go stop go home?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts