Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
Mercedes 560SL 1986
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently installed a cat back SuperSprint exhaust on my 560SL and the quality is the best and it sounds great (second picture)! Just enough rumble so that you know there is a healthy V8 under the hood. They offer the cat back muffler with either stealth down pipes or straight pipe for either US or Euro bumpers.

I worked with SuperSprint and they just released downpipes and a Y connecter that will allow us to connect to stock 560SL headers without needing Tri-Y's or spendy custom headers. They are also offering either a two pipe cat less resonator solution for the center section or two high flow cats instead of the resonator (first picture). They have a bung connection for the O2 sensor.

Here is the question. If I go high flow cats no problem. If I go resonator only and plug the O2 sensor into the bung connector, what will happen and is there anything I need to change on the engine side to make certain the engine is running at its best
?

·
Registered
1991 R129 500SL
1,982 Posts
Hi,
I personally, would go for the system with the 2 high flow cat-cons. The "high flow" cat-cons will provide some form of "hindrance" to exhaust gases, compared to without the cat-cons. The engine's fuel system might "read" faster exit of exhaust gases as "lean" mixture thereby sending signals to the K-Jet fuel system to "enrichen" the fuel mixture unnecessarily.

... food for thought ;)

·
Premium Member
Mercedes 560SL 1986
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,
I personally, would go for the system with the 2 high flow cat-cons. The "high flow" cat-cons will provide some form of "hindrance" to exhaust gases, compared to without the cat-cons. The engine's fuel system might "read" faster exit of exhaust gases as "lean" mixture thereby sending signals to the K-Jet fuel system to "enrichen" the fuel mixture unnecessarily.

... food for thought ;)
Thanks. There is a big difference in price between resonator and cats and the state I am in does not require emissions inspections on classic cars so weighing my options. Would prefer cats as SuperSprint will do build with either 100 or 200's but the resonator price is very attractive. Trying to see if I can make things work without before I order with cats.

·
Registered
1988 560sl
343 Posts
Of course, it is still a violation of federal law to remove a cat without the intention to replace it, FWIW. Never know where that could come back and bite you tomorrow.

Plus - the stink.

·
Premium Member
Mercedes 560SL 1986
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I go back to, if I remove the factory cat/resonator, and replace it with a true dual exhaust, what do I need to do to make sure the engine runs well?

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
32,153 Posts
Of course, it is still a violation of federal law to remove a cat without the intention to replace it, FWIW. Never know where that could come back and bite you tomorrow.

Plus - the stink.
I had a CAT on my 280SL when I bought it. It spent most of it's life in Georgia. When I had a custom exhaust made for it....I brought in my engine manual to PROVE that the car never originally came with a CAT.

But the stink? That's old school. :) Reminds me of my 71 Nova SS. Probably more so...because my top is always down.

·
Registered
1988 560sl
343 Posts
But the stink? That's old school. :) Reminds me of my 71 Nova SS. Probably more so...because my top is always down.
Dont miss it at all. Being behind a car without emissions equipment these days is about as disgusting as living in an apartment above a smoker.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
32,153 Posts
Dont miss it at all. Being behind a car without emissions equipment these days is about as disgusting as living in an apartment above a smoker.
I'll keep that in mind....next road trip. I like following on convoy road trips anyways. I can daydream instead of looking for road signs. :)

·
Premium Member
1976 450SL, 1992 190e 2.3, 1984 300D turbo, 1966 VW bus
914 Posts
No cats = great exhaust sound & significantly more power.

I actually kind of like the smell of non-catalyzed exhaust, makes me nostalgic for old vehicles from a simpler time. It's not like you are sitting there huffing it, shit blows away.

·
Premium Member
1980 450 SL
417 Posts
The byproduct for the catalytic converter is CO2. It significantly increases the amount. Global warming is far more a danger then smog. Catalytic converters is not a good solution for automobile environmental problems
People who remove there catalytic converters are helping to save the planet!

·
Registered
300e 5sp
139 Posts
Never cat, unless it's the law! Unless you plan on spending an extra grand or two to be able to sell it to a state who wants to make gas cars illegal anyway. Fuck em! Deny them.

·
Registered
1974 450SL; 1961 Besasie X-3 (being restored)
1,632 Posts
Of course, it is still a violation of federal law to remove a cat without the intention to replace it, FWIW
Ya, but who's checking? In WI, a car 20 or more years old doesn't even need an emissions test when it's sold. Just don't sell it in California--land of fruits and nuts. 🤣🤣

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
Never cat: we don't. Just don't unless it's the law! Unless you plan on spending an extra grand or two to be able to sell it to a state who wants to make gas cars illegal anyway. Fuck em! Deny them.
haha uhhh what?

·
Registered
300 CE 24V Sportline
1,432 Posts
Some of my best friends are smokers.
Haha. My wife and I are. We stood by a huge public ash tray in San Diego and smoked. A very polite, uniformed official moved us on, saying that we could not smoke there but over there by the road.

And Santa Barbara was ridiculous. 2 Germans were told they could not smoke on the street, anywhere. We did smoke, behind some buildings, by the railway line.

The odd thing about California is that smoking is almost forbidden but leaving a huge V8 rumbling away to keep the aircon working is positively encouraged. Strange attitude.

But had a great time anyway and met some very nice people.

R

·
Registered
300e 5sp
139 Posts
Haha. My wife and I are. We stood by a huge public ash tray in San Diego and smoked. A very polite, uniformed official moved us on, saying that we could not smoke there but over there by the road.

And Santa Barbara was ridiculous. 2 Germans were told they could not smoke on the street, anywhere. We did smoke, behind some buildings, by the railway line.

The odd thing about California is that smoking is almost forbidden but leaving a huge V8 rumbling away to keep the aircon working is positively encouraged. Strange attitude.

But had a great time anyway and met some very nice people.

R
It's an OK place to visit but no place to live, not until it is re-claimed.

·
Registered
63’190D.73’450C.78’280D.89’300CE
227 Posts
having cats means you will need to drive your engine hotter from time to time. which is good for every component.
go cat is my vote

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
having cats means you will need to drive your engine hotter from time to time. which is good for every component.
go cat is my vote
what do you mean by that? Are you saying the engine will run hotter with cats and this is better for the engine ?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts