Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi G class owners

Last weekend my car was in an accident, its most likely written off. So I'm in the process of scouring the market for my next car. I've always loved the G class but never thought I would own one due to their extreme rarity in Australia. However, I stumbled upon 4 G-classes for sale recently, and by that I mean 3 were for sale, 2 in different states and one near me.

I checked out a 230GE, but the guy trying to sell it is an ass and doesn't deserve a cent of my money. However, on the way home I just so happened to be looking at the right place at the right time while driving back. Deep down in a factory car park lay a boxy white G class 4 door. I went into the head office and asked about it.

The car was owned by one of the workers who just walked out and quit a year ago, ever since its been sitting in their car park. They don't really know what to do with it, but they own it now and just want to get rid of it.

They took my number and will call me when they locate the keys that are somewhere in the office according to them. It appears that they don't really care what happens to it, and I'm hoping that they'll let it go for a low price.

Its a 1983 Australian delivered 300GD 4 door, however its fairly dilapidated cosmetically; some surface rust here and there (mostly on the bumper, tow bar, wipers etc). I figure I could sand this down and respray them. On the body itself, the plastic mouldings have lost their colour which I would treat, and there's quite a lot of mould around the place that would need to be fixed. Its also missing a front light surrounding for the passenger's side.

The interior is missing a few trim pieces around the place too, but there appears to be a large box full of car parts inside it that would appear to be for the car itself such as new door handles, some iterior trim pieces and what not. Other than that, mechanically its A1, the engine looks to be very clean and runs well.
So, If they do offer me a good price, would it be a good idea to buy this car? I know there's some work that's needed to it, and wonder if I'd have some online support from other G class owners in regards to obtaining certain car parts, and general knowledge and DIY tips for this car to restore it again.

Bare in mind this car is rare for Australia, mechanically I should be fine with parts but the body parts I'd need to import a few things in for it, I'm hoping through other owners on this forum who could help me?

Thanks, and any ideas are welcome :)

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really want to, but I want to know that I have support to build this car up. There is next to no parts support in Australia as this car is rare, and I don't want to buy a car that's a white elephant so to speak.

I'll probably have to build up some connections with some people who can get me parts or have parts to sell. If I can get enough positive feedback from people, then I could convince my father that I won't go broke with it!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Well your story is the universe sending you a message bro. You go off to look at a G, find it unsuitable but lo and behold one practically falls out of the sky on your return leg. G spotting is rare even in North America, let alone Australia. I have owned one for a couple years now and spot every one that comes along and I doubt I have seen 20 in 50,000km of driving (edit - I know I haven't, I'd say 8 and 3 here at home). You go for a what, 100km drive and spot one hidden away that happens to also be for sale? Dude, thats a sign there.

Now, I can't assure you won't go broke trying to get parts but they are/will be available - I just hope not at a crazy price. I doubt they would be that bad once you get a couple relationships in place.

Don't make this one of those decisions you will regret later on. I could have (barely) bought a mid/late 60s Corvette convertible back in 1992 but didn't and boy oh boy if I could have that decision back today - it would be done in a heartbeat.

Here is how I see it playing out for you. 20 years from now you are going to look back and say 'goddamn that was a great and fun vehicle, so much better than the minivan I now drive cause my wife thinks its practical' (or heck, you might be lucky and still have it!) or you will look back and say 'dang that thing cost me a fortune but boy did I have a sh%t ton of fun with it'. Either way, you will be looking back fondly imho but risk looking back with regret if you don't do it.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll keep that in mind. I hope there are some who could offer some tips about this car, and I wouldn't mind hearing of people's experiences too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Even looks in good nick. Don't expect a 300GD to be fast, but not too bad on economy, as Gs go. An 83 G isn't going to break the bank to buy either, and although some parts are expensive, you can always get them shipped and they will last. Most work is even accessible to you to DIY.
I have a 230GE btw. '87. Had it 20+ years and still going great in original form.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Speed isn't a problem, but I do like economy and reliability now after owning a 6 cylinder W124 coupe I could do with more economy :p

I'm hoping to hear from them, if not I'll be going back and hopefully they want to sell it to me.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, which is one of the reasons why I'm so attracted to it. However, I'd love to know what engine that is. The engine is a real gem, every pipe and hose has been replaced. Could it be the standard engine with a turbocharger?

·
Registered
503 Posts
That is quite an elaborate air intake system for the turbo. The intake manifold is a standard N/A (non turbo) 617 manifold. The other piping (I am guessing water cooled intercooler) is non standard as is the air cleaner and intake hood scoop. He is trying to keep the turbo happy without overheating the engine.

I would buy it. Does Australia have an assortment of W123 300D vehicles rolling around? If so then there is one parts source.

So it looks like what you have is a OM617 N/A with a turbo and intercooler attached to give it a bit more power. Other than the odd scoop it looks like it is a well thought out upgrade.

Mark

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes there are a few 300D's around. I've located a G class Australia owners club too. I think I'll buy this car, and try to establish some relationships through the owners club and this forum in order to get a hold of parts for the car. My main concern is the body parts. How easily could I find a passenger's front headlight surround for a car like this for example?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, those are the guys. However, looks to be a very small group and slightly inactive. Unless they just don't update their website often.

I'll be checking out the car in a few days once the insurance is settled on my old car. Very hopeful to get this if the price is right.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry. Its been a long time. Here's the story. I finally got in contact with the real owner of the car. He said he wanted $7,000 firm for the car including many spare parts. I couldn't afford it.

I was unhappy, but it was probably for the the best. I noticed a few weeks ago the car is gone from its usual resting place, that made me sad...

This morning, I received a call from the bloke. He asked me if I was still interested in the car, he'd be willing to work it down to my price. I'm happy about this, but now that I think of it, I don't know if I could actually afford it. I'd need to pay at most, $4,000.

I STILL don't know if I should do it! My heart says yes, but the head says no as I'll probably put myself into a money pit.

One of my main concerns is that he says the turbo is disconnected and the car tops out at 65km/h. hmm..

·
Registered
469 Posts
Doooo eeeeet!

You now have 3,000 in the kitty to sort that out. One of my biggest regrets in life, not buying that Corvette when I had the chance. 10 years from now you will look back and say 'ooops' if you don't.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts