Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, new to the community and i already need help. i happened to stumble on a 96 s600 sedan, wasnt something i was looking for but it caught my eye. also the price was dare i say "cheap". it is at a dealership for $2999 so i went to check it out. i drove it twice just to make sure. even though it isnt alot of money, i also dont want to buy something that i have to keep putting money into.
now heres the pudding. it has 157k miles, salvaged title, ran the carfax it was branded in 2010 airbag deployed, no total loss , or structural damage reported. the astray door is missing, certain little buttons as well, 2 of the windows switches pushed thru the console(dont know if thats a common problem) all windows, sunroof, headrests, seats, function. now the parts that really have me concerned is when i turn the key on the a/c came on and theres no way of turning it off, the a/c control display does not turn on, and the fan speed, on /off, or none of those buttons do anything and i repeat there is no way to turn off the a/c, so im concerned that just replacing the a/c controller might not fix it. also when i turned on the car the fuel light was on and marked empty, next time i looked it was half a tank and stayed there (so i dont know if they have a delay and its normal or its faulty, i really didnt pay attention when it went to the half way point) also there is a suspension light is on, and a few drops of oil on the floor nothing major. at first when i started it the idle dropped for a half second and then stayed steady, also worth noting is i would have figured the power was overwhelming but it wasnt, or i should say wasnt what i was expecting. dont get me wrong it did put a smile to my face, but after a few romps i would have expected more. so i dont know if thats lack of power, or thats how they are.
so having said this do you guys think its worth it, i know the price is cheap but having no records at all on what has been done, salvaged title, do you guys foresee a huge money pit. any input would be greatly appreciated as far as what to watch out for or walk away.

·
Registered
CLK 270 2003
41 Posts
Walk away.

Sounds like a pup to me.
Do your homework, decide which car you want and wait for the right one.
There is lots of expertise on this site, genuine experienced views are very valuable.
I have bought the wrong car in the past, buying a pup is easy, selling it is not!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would walk away

I had the similar BMW version to the S600, a 2000 750iL. That 12-cylinder was an intricate beast and it brought me to my knees financially.

As we all likely know, with the Mercedes and BMWs, there's some many creature comforts, switches, controls, etc. which often become a plethora of things to go wrong. And when they do, you pay a lot of money.

I believe you could buy that S600 for the $2999 and then put double that back in - soon - to keep it on the road.

They're an enigma, and unless you've had the car forever and know it's history, I'd walk away.

Just my humble oppinion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the advice everyone, i kind of decided if the car is there on monday im just going to get it. like i said i stumbled on it by accident wasnt really looking to buy something like that. but i think for the price its worth the gamble, it will be driven maybe 2 to 3 times a week. i know if i start doing my research im going to find myself spending about 8 to 10k on one the was well documented. well ill see on monday. thanks everyone again for the advice. at least know im not guessing, i know im going to have to put money into it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Go for it then - and best of luck :)

Then the optomist in me says, if you get her right and she goes for ya - you'll have one helluva nice toy. When they ride right, theyre GREAT GREAT cars. Post a picture when you get it, if you do.

Best of luck. Make sure you have a "V12" emblem on it!!!

·
Registered
2017 Police Interceptor Utility, 2017 Police Interceptor Sedan
7,747 Posts
i know the price is cheap but having no records at all on what has been done, salvaged title, do you guys foresee a huge money pit. any input would be greatly appreciated as far as what to watch out for or walk away.
Leave it be, too much of an unknown.

·
Registered
1968 250SE S-Class. 1988 560SEC S-Class Widebody
821 Posts
"there is nothing more expensive than a cheap mercedes"

this quote keeps coming to my mind

even fully documented cars need some work after purchase. this one has the potential to be BAD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts