Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI guys nice forum going here. I recently bought a

2002 CLK 430 conv. with the amg package. My question is with 59000 miles on the car should I pony up and buy a $4000-$5000 extended warranty package for 3yr/40000 or should I just find a good mechanic other than a dealer.

Thanks

·
Registered
2003 Mercedes Benz E500
668 Posts
I have one...

it has paid for itself [I am sure to the chagrin of the issuer]; however, with these contracts "the devil is in the details".

If you are thinking about purchasing an extended warranty, or service contract, ask to read the actual terms of coverage, then decide. Don't just rely on the laminated sheet that the F&I guy will use to sell the contract, as it is very "broad brush" and you really need to know exactly what is, and is not covered.

On mine, for example, coil packs are not covered as they are not considered an "ignition module" per the policy... yet they do contain internal circuitry. My independent mechanic had to fight to get a throttle actuator covered [a $1,400 part] as the solenoid was covered by the assembly was not; my "Indy" prevailed in that instance.

Good luck on your choice.

JR

·
Registered
2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan
910 Posts
I did not purchase one on mine. 3 years is not that long for a warranty to pay 4 to 5 grand. Honestly, 4 to 5 grand would pay for A LOT of repairs at a mechanic other than the dealer. The dealer wouldn't offer warranties if the consumer came out ahead on it.

·
Registered
2005 c230 Kompressor
26 Posts
Hey Guys I'm new to this Forum and have a similar Warranty dillemma. I have 40500k on my 2005 c230 k and my factory warranty is expiring within the next couple of days. Now the MB dealership here in houston offered me different extended warranty options which i thought are very pricey, 3400$ for 3 yrs or 72k. Now i plan on keepin the car for at least another 2 yrs before changing it. Can anyone please advise as of what to do? are there any other good extended warranties that could be purchased for less? or should i take the risk to go without?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1995 SL 500 2017 AMG GLC 43
942 Posts
It's a no brainer in my opinion. Buy it. Ask those that say it's a bad deal if they are going to pay for your repairs if you listen to them.

·
Registered
2005 c230 Kompressor
26 Posts
Anybody here know if there are any major repairs needed or had on their 05 C230K after 50,000 miles?

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
The warranty sounds a bit expensive. Certainly a no confidence vote in the expected reliability of the car.

·
Registered
2005 c230 Kompressor
26 Posts
Man , I know i just wish Merc was still makin cars like the old days, this no confidence in my 05 c230 and the pricey warranty options is makin me look at the offers the competition has. :mad:

·
Registered
1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
3,513 Posts
Extended warranties - never bought one - never will (and BTW never had a car where I ever needed one). They are insurance policies and the insurance company will always win in the long run. Sure there are some that get their money's worth, but we never seem to hear from those who pony up the cash and never use it and there's got to be lots of those out there. I agree with Black04C230 above. Now if you will sleep better at night and want the peace of mind of having one, that's another issue I guess. A Mercedes factory type warranty is best. Watch out for aftermarket ones - they can really be dicey.

Len

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
My Mercedes CPO warranty more than paid for itself. When it ran out (couldn't extend it and as stated they are the best) I bought one the dealer is selling from Fidelity Warranty Services - Home Page They are part of the Fidelity Group and I don't think they are going to bankrupt like many of the aftermarket companies you will hear about.

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
So guys when is a good time to sell your benz mileage wise if lookin to avoid major repairs?
Before the warranty expires.

·
Registered
1995 SL 500 2017 AMG GLC 43
942 Posts
Does anyone know if the MB CPO cars come with 100,000k limited warranty?
Yes, but time (x amount of years) is also tied to the warranty. So it's a 100k and for example 3 more years, which ever comes first. Your MB dealer can explain what your vehicle qualifies for...

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,705 Posts
My Mercedes CPO warranty more than paid for itself. When it ran out (couldn't extend it and as stated they are the best) I bought one the dealer is selling from Fidelity Warranty Services - Home Page They are part of the Fidelity Group and I don't think they are going to bankrupt like many of the aftermarket companies you will hear about.
So they are in business of giving money away and you REALLY think they will be in business for long? :D
Extended warranty, just like any insurance is like playing lottery. The $2500 I spend 10 years ago for our ML320 was money down the drain. The truck never had mechanical issues and "bumper to bumper" warranty didn't cover stains in the headliner, cracks in plastics or $250 cluster light-bulb.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Five reasons not to buy an extended warranty
1. They usually cost more than they're worth
2. Warranty work may be unreliable
3. The warranty may not cover what you think it does
4. Warranty underwriter may go out of business
5. The extended warranty may overlap manufacturer's warranty
You will find more on the net.

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
It's all great that Consumer Reports says that all extended warranties are a waste of money, but sweeping generalizations do not always apply. Of course buying extended warranties for household appliances is a waste (tvs, stereo, fridges, ovens, dishwashers, washers, dryers, microwaves, etc.). But we are talking about extended warranties for Benz products built in the last decade that have poor reliability records (with a high incidence of expensive repairs).

1. Obviously the Mercedes-backed CPO warranty is preferred when avaialble. MB has successfully used this warranty to maintain used car values and demand.

2. Aftermarket warranty companies spread their risk and cover a wide variety of makes and models, some reliable ('yota and Honda), some not (MB). So they don't go bankrupt by covering some MB products.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
So they are in business of giving money away and you REALLY think they will be in business for long? :D
Extended warranty, just like any insurance is like playing lottery. The $2500 I spend 10 years ago for our ML320 was money down the drain. The truck never had mechanical issues and "bumper to bumper" warranty didn't cover stains in the headliner, cracks in plastics or $250 cluster light-bulb.
That's a valid point but as MB-SV pointed out, they make their profit insuring Toyota and Hondas so us Benz owners can keep ours on the road. ;) On the one I bought, I'm pretty sure think the instrument cluster is covered, but not your other examples.

·
Registered
1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
3,513 Posts
It's all great that Consumer Reports says that all extended warranties are a waste of money, but sweeping generalizations do not always apply. Of course buying extended warranties for household appliances is a waste (tvs, stereo, fridges, ovens, dishwashers, washers, dryers, microwaves, etc.). But we are talking about extended warranties for Benz products built in the last decade that have poor reliability records (with a high incidence of expensive repairs).

1. Obviously the Mercedes-backed CPO warranty is preferred when avaialble. MB has successfully used this warranty to maintain used car values and demand.

2. Aftermarket warranty companies spread their risk and cover a wide variety of makes and models, some reliable ('yota and Honda), some not (MB). So they don't go bankrupt by covering some MB products.
I haven't checked because I am not an extended warranty kind of a guy, but is the price of an extended warranty for a Honda or a Toyota similar to that of a Mercedes? If so, good for the Mercedes buyers, but too bad for the Honda and Toyota buyers. I find it hard to believe that with the repair history that extended warranty companies have available to them that they would not be charging much more for a warranty on a Mercedes.

Len

1 - 20 of 28 Posts