Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...thinking of buying a c36 or c43...please give me some recs...i will be modifying either car...

·
Registered
10 Posts
My experience...

I don't own either car, but I'm in the same process as you are. I'm leaning towards the C43 for a few reasons after my research.

1) Reliability: It appears that the C36s have a more cases of head gasket, differential and wiring harness problems.

2) Age: The newest C36 you will find is 1997 and with a 5 speed transmission and a little more power, it might be the one you are looking for.

3) Styling: It's subjective, but the C43's bodykit is a little more current, similar to what you see on the CLKs.

4) Power: The C43 has more of it.

5) Features: You can find some C43s with Xenon (option), the seats are better and there is ESP.

6) CD changer is a pain on the C43s because you will have to buy an official MB changer because of the fibre optic cable connection.

·
Registered
1998 C43 AMG
95 Posts
The fiberoptic cable was only 1999's. 1998 had the same 6 disk as a C36.

I would say C...

The fiberoptic cable was only 1999's. 1998 had the same 6 disk as a C36.

I would say C43 for the obvious reasons, but it's all about what your budget permits.

·
Registered
1996 C36
14 Posts
My C36 is an awesome car for the $$. My opinion is that the C43 body kit is 'soft' looki...

My C36 is an awesome car for the $$. My opinion is that the C43 body kit is 'soft' looking on the 202?? Kinda 'country clubbish approved' C43's dont have ANY racing distinction. There is always a badder V8 option you could consider - C55? M104 inline motors do start to leak eventually , but so do Porsches??? It's German - It leaks! C36's were street copies of the DTM series cars that were homologated into the race series. Don't get me wrong, C43's are tight rides, I am kinda biased cause I own a C36. ALL benzes have wiring harness problems - even the new ones. The C36's are a little older so that is why you see more negative posts about the harnesses. ALL 202 cars experience bad lower A-arm bushings. Mine has brand new ones(needed even at 45,000 miles!!)My car used to clunk while rolling from D in reverse. You gotta watch out for cars that need 'em. Its around $250 to get 'em fixed. Also - beware of post '96 cars!!!!!(last year C36,C43's) They have an electronic gearbox(tranny)that tends to go South. It is $2,000 minimum for a tranny re-build. Factory NON-zenons are actually bright if you use your regular foglights by the way. Here is my car. It is being sold B/C I want a lower payment on something else. Enjoy

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6334&item=2407055192

·
Registered
1998 C43 AMG
95 Posts
I've never heard a bad case of the adaptive tranny going south, but ok. My car has more t...

I've never heard a bad case of the adaptive tranny going south, but ok. My car has more than 50,000 miles, and it running stronger than ever. I will post pics at a later time.
Non-xenons are rather bright, esp. if you buy Piaa bulbs as I did. Xenons are not much brighter, but the color is distinctive and hot.
I think the wiring harness was only major on the C36. I have never heard a bad story about the 43...
Three Point Six: Your car is very nice, but steep. I understand, and I bet it is worth your $24, but C43's are going for around $27k. It's hard to put away 25,000$ on something 7 years old. I believe that it's worth every penny. I almost bought one.

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
The 5-speed electronic transmissions in the C43 do fail, and are expensive, but in my expe...

The 5-speed electronic transmissions in the C43 do fail, and are expensive, but in my experience they fail at a lower rate than the 4-speed hydraulic controlled transmissions. Especially if you do maintenance on your transmission.

I've not heard of wiring harness issues on the C43 (or similar cars such as CLK430 or CLK55). I have heard of plenty on the C36, even when newer.

The head gaskets do tend to go on the C36 (and C280), but if a repair is performed with a recent updated part, the repair should not be required for a long time.

OEM HID headlights may not be brighter than retrofitted headlights, but the superior beam pattern makes it worth it for me. The light is spread evenly across a wide range.

The M113 engines suffer from premature harmonic balancer failure. Checking up on it regularly and replacing if showing signs of wear (or doing a preemptive repair to the updated part) can prevent a catastrophic failure.

WyattH, you're one of the few C43 owners without HID! You should feel special, actually!

-s-

·
Registered
1998 C43 AMG
95 Posts
Haha, funny story:
I bought my car quite some time ago. It was equipped with every option...

Haha, funny story:
I bought my car quite some time ago. It was equipped with every option, supposedly.
The guy shipped it to us, and before doing so, removed the Xenons!!!!!!! He sold them to a friend. He didn't tell me!!!!! I WAS PISSED! I have learned to cope with the screwing though, and am happy with what I have.

Wy

·
Registered
C43, E320, G500
67 Posts
C43

My C43 just broke down today because of tranny problems at 80k miles. It'll probably cost me around $3200-3500 bucks unless it can be rebuilt. I was just getting ready to bring it to HPS for supercharger installation. I guess it'll have to wait or... [email protected]#* it. I'll get the supercharger done anyway. It's my weekend car and I drive the hell out of it.

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Re: C43

My C43 just broke down today because of tranny problems at 80k miles. It'll probably cost me around $3200-3500 bucks unless it can be rebuilt. I was just getting ready to bring it to HPS for supercharger installation. I guess it'll have to wait or... [email protected]#* it. I'll get the supercharger done anyway. It's my weekend car and I drive the hell out of it.
Just a note to all those 5-speed owners... change your transmission fluid!

-s-

·
Registered
Mercedes C36
11 Posts
hey Wyatt,
i know who you got the car from!
i check out his car. wonder what you got i...

hey Wyatt,
i know who you got the car from!
i check out his car. wonder what you got it for. he was asking way too much. he picked up a new M3. i am pissed for you that he sold his xenon kit and didnt tell you. that is not cool at all!! i see you got his rims too....

i would bug him for the lights. that is really f__ked up!!

·
Registered
320TE 2.3-16 C36
13 Posts
previous owner had to rebuild my transmission. He said it locked into 2nd, mechanic told h...

previous owner had to rebuild my transmission. He said it locked into 2nd, mechanic told him it was in limp home mode. Estimate it would've been at around 70-80,000km
As far as the wiring harness issue I beleive it was rectified by '97. Apparently they tried a biodegradable sheath... just that it biodegraded a little TOO early!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts