Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys

i'm a noob out here lookin for advice. It maybe a stupid question to ask a bunch of mercedes enthusiasts but here we go...
i live on vancouver island, british columbia, canada and just found a 85 190E 2.3 5 speed (only 5 speed 190 i can find in bc)for about 1000 bucks in pretty good condition well maintained and running smooth (clear coat is screwwed on parts of the hood but thats it) and i am wondering if its worth it. I mean is buying an 85 gonna cost me in the long run because its soo old?. I really want a 190 and this is the only one i can find in my area and advice would be appreciated.
thanks guys

·
Registered
1988 W201 190E
39 Posts
When I went looking for MB's a few weeks back I specifically was looking at the W124's and W126's I really wasn't terribly interested in the W201's at all because mainly of experiences with the locally imported 180E's. Mostly I found them under powered and uninspiring, but during the course of my searches I looked at several 190 imports. I don't think I even took any W201's for a test drive, including the one I bought. Though when I saw it I pretty well knew this would be the car I'd be driving back to Ballina with.
The main issues will be from what I've seen on any of the MB's of this vintage are, Bushing in the upper and lower front control arms, bushings in the rear end, shock absorbers and steering tie rod ends. Occasionally the steering box needs attention, but I've only ever seen one that required it and that owner had driven the car for almost two weeks with no fluid in the reservoir. Needless to say it needed a new pump as well, all over a $2 hose he was too lazy to replace when it split.
While I'm on the topic of hoses... Pay close attention to the water hoses. Look at them carefully, look for signs of aging, squeeze them and if they feel like they crackle on the first squeeze then you may want to consider replacing them to be on the safe side. Also check the coolant reservoir, does it have clean coolant or dirty water? It would help greatly if the seller had a service history for you to check, though if it's had more than one or two owners I'd not count on it.
A pre purchase inspection would help a lot as well from a reputable mechanic.

·
Registered
'87--190E 2.3-16v(being rebuilt), '99--C230 Kompressor
3,479 Posts
any car is going to cost to maintain it...but atleast with a 190 you won't be paying $400 or so a month on top of any repair costs.

whats the maintenance history on the car?
does the PO have records of the work?
how many miles are on it?
has it been in any accidents and repaired?

more information is needed

replacement parts are easy to get for a 85 model because 85 was the first year they went to a single serpentine belt as a base model...so you have from 85 to 90/91? for JY parts

·
Registered
2000 :W220 - 1986 W201: 16v Nam,16v Euro- 2002:SL500 Silver Arrow.2002:Avalanche-
2,234 Posts
Welcome aboard...based on your description you are instant saving $1,500 US for automatic trans rebuild of 85 model year , repaint your hood is some where in the neighborhood of $400 hood pad $75 (DIY) but here is the hint : 85 may have single stage paint you may lucky sand it down with 2000 plus grit and heavy rebuff & wax prior repaint if necessary ..sound like decent car with 5 speed gear box is a big bonus..Gluck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the seller has told me he can provide all the maintenance records for me, i havent seen them yet. he has owned the car since 2001 and says he has been on top of everything. the car has 256 000k's (not sure what that is in miles), and no accidents. im test driving it tommorow so i will probably know how i feel about it then, i mean the price is right and i can probably talk him down a couple hundred too (hopefully)
thanks again

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
if he has all the maintenance records and they are legit, i'd get it...as a daily beater its well worth it

·
2.3-16 | A3 2.0T | 986 Boxster
5,048 Posts
$1000 for a rust free '85 manual. Buy it. They are easy to maintain if you are a DIY'er, most parts are cheap online and it a manual! No brainer.

·
Registered
1984 190D 2.2
2,458 Posts
That looks like a great deal for $1000. If it were near me, it would be in my driveway right now.

And deffinatly get the stock steering wheel. That one is way out of place.

All the things that should need to be replaced are normal maintenance items if it was taken care of by the previous owner.
It's not expensive if you do the work yourself.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
do you want to sell that wooden steering wheel?

you guys are looking at it all wrong...by itself it's a partial eyesore...but wrapped in black leather with small bits of the wood exposed and the center...it would look good

·
Registered
1984 190D 2.2
2,458 Posts
do you want to sell that wooden steering wheel?

you guys are looking at it all wrong...by itself it's a partial eyesore...but wrapped in black leather with small bits of the wood exposed and the center...it would look good
It might look good wrapped, you would need to stain the wood darker to match the zebrano better.

·
Registered
85 190e/8v & 89 420 SEL
1,073 Posts
It might look good wrapped, you would need to stain the wood darker to match the zebrano better.
Yeah. It could be done right with some black leather and darker stain. If you ever do one like this, I'd like to see it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hahahah that is the car
i wasnt able to see it today but a friend of mine was and he said its good other than some wear on the leather but thats about it. and i agree about the wheel i will have to see how i feel about it once i get the car but i will post if i want to sell it. i'm hopeing to get it this weekend as long as the seller doesnt sell it before i can get there. thank again guys i will post pics and an update once i get the car.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
hey guys

i'm a noob out here lookin for advice. It maybe a stupid question to ask a bunch of mercedes enthusiasts but here we go...
i live on vancouver island, british columbia, canada and just found a 85 190E 2.3 5 speed (only 5 speed 190 i can find in bc)for about 1000 bucks in pretty good condition well maintained and running smooth (clear coat is screwwed on parts of the hood but thats it) and i am wondering if its worth it. I mean is buying an 85 gonna cost me in the long run because its soo old?. I really want a 190 and this is the only one i can find in my area and advice would be appreciated.
thanks guys
what's your situation? price range, age, what it will be used for play a pretty big role.. If your depending on a $1000 190e 5speed as a DAILY driver to work it's not a good move. If you have other options for transportation i say go for it.

sounds stupid but a lot of first benz owners see MB's as this amazing, super reliable cars. But even the older mint benz's can cause serious headaches.

Hope you get a benz just food for thought:thumbsup:

·
Registered
98 SLK230K AMG, 98 E55T, 89 2.5-16
213 Posts
a while back when i first got going into the 190e life, i saw a post that read something like "a cheap mercedes benz will quickly become the most expensive car" or something like that... hahaha. but 7 years later i'm still here. i'd say its part due to the car itself, and a big part due to the generous people here in this forum :)

cheers!

·
Registered
1984 190D 2.2
2,458 Posts
a while back when i first got going into the 190e life, i saw a post that read something like "a cheap mercedes benz will quickly become the most expensive car" or something like that... hahaha. but 7 years later i'm still here. i'd say its part due to the car itself, and a big part due to the generous people here in this forum :)

cheers!
"There is nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes Benz"

It is a great car, and if you take care of it, it will take care of you.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts