Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know this has been asked here before but im having a hard time finding stuff. sorry guys. im going to buy some tj coils 4.5" lift can they go in the front or the back. or can i use them for both ends ? thank you josh

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
If you can fit them in the front, you can also fit them in the back. But you will need different lengths for front to back.

And spring rates can be all over the place depending on who you buy from, so be sure you know what your getting.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hey Josh. I can't answer your question, but I'm very glad you have asked it.
I've been researching the same thing and while there is a lot of vague information out there. I haven't found anything that is clear and concise.
So thanks for the post !
I'll be watching closely.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you can fit them in the front, you can also fit them in the back. But you will need different lengths for front to back.

And spring rates can be all over the place depending on who you buy from, so be sure you know what your getting.

set of 4.5 in one end and 6.5 in other work? the 4.5 wire is 5/8 and i thing 13'' tall. he said something about load being 200lb or something like that. does that sound right?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the mogs being used mostly offroad will be on road to get to trails. and im more of a rock guy then mud. KC what about coil overs in the rear? much advatage?

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
I had a yard pull some for me around 10yrs ago and tried them out. I knew before I even put them on that they were way way to soft.

Flex is cool on an RTI ramp, but that doesn't mean the truck will handle well.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Just for reference, I run the back of my stripped down 404 at 250lbs and I use every inch of my 16" coilovers.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have a set of race runner coilover but not sure on the stroke of them. your saying 16" at least they have to be? will i gain much using them to just coils?

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Stock travel uses around 12-13" of shock travel assuming your springs will allow it.

My 16" coilovers equate to about 18" or so measured from the stock shock mounts. But thats because mine are raked slightly and are farther forward than te stock shock.

Coilovers have lots of benifits not to mention they are hugely tunable. They are a much better option than trying to throw some coils your guessing about.

I would use no less than a 14" coilover on a mog.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I'm not speaking from any experience but I have heard often of people on a budget moving the rear springs to the front and using "TJ" springs for the rear. No mention if they are front or rear springs or the rate or if they are lifted springs or not. I'd assume rear but that's about all I got. What are you running in the front KC?

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Swapping the rears to the front works well enough. Thats what I have at the moment. It will slightly raise the front end.

Mine are soon to be replaced with coilovers up front. I have destroyed my front coils.

As for the TJ coils, I would recommend using the rear coils.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Well, first they lift the front slightly, and IIRC, they are also softer rate, but I would have to check my manual on that one to be sure.

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
5,856 Posts
Well, first they lift the front slightly, and IIRC, they are also softer rate, but I would have to check my manual on that one to be sure.
Softer rate for rear coils on TJ makes since. Rear coils are not having to deal with weight of engine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts