Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 18000 miles on my 2001 E55 and its time for new tires. I've checked around and have found dunlaps, michelins,bridgestones etc. in the mid to upper teens for a set out the door.I also got a pricefor a set of Kumho's for 850.00 out the door. I checked up on Kumhos and they have pretty good reviews. Has anybody had any experiences with these tires. Any info. you have concerning tires would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You can go to Tirerack.Com and read up on the internal and reader surveys of high performance tires. You didnt skimp on your car- don't skimp on your tires as they are the closest thing between you and the road. Personally and from many other posters opinions, the Bridgestone S03's are the best tires out there. If you get them from Tirerack you will get a good deal and won't have to pay sales tax (depending on the state you live in) but will have the get them mounted at a store where you live. I have no idea about the Kumho's.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Same position as you....18k miles, needed new tires. Had three tires in my list: Bridgestone Potenza S0-3s, Pirelli Pzero Asymmetricos, Michelin Pilot Sports. Decided to get SO-3s...got a great deal for them at America's Tires (or America's Discount Tires). Paid $200 for the front, $240 for rear...can't beat that price, even vs. Tirerack. I have no idea why they decided to bless me with this price discount....I didn't even realize this until I checked the latest tire prices at tirerack.com. $200 is a damn good deal...maybe they screwed up and gave me the wrong price!<br>
<br>
I also looked at Kumhos (Ecsta 712, I think), and I decided that saving $50 per tire just wasn't worth it. I could either save $200-$250 buying Kumhos, or I could buy the tires I want. Kumho tires seem like a great deal and get great reviews, but I feel more comfortable with companies like Pirelli, Bridgestone, Michelin, etc. Maybe I'm too concerned with the 'name' thing, but my feeling is, I spent a lot of money for this car, I take care of this car, and I want the best for it and myself.<br>
<br>
Now if I were looking at Michelin Pilot Sports ($280/$330) compared to buying Kumhos ($140/$150), I would have some second thoughts. But I went the and tried to find the best available tires for $200. In addition, there are plenty of solid tires around the $200 range (Dunlop, Yokohama, etc). But I like my SO-3s so far.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
doing it through tire rack is really easy; they have locations of garages and tire places that will put the tires on for about 15 dollars apiece. tire rack will ship the tires to them , takes about three to four days.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bob, if you haven't experienced this before, you'll have to take my word for it that each brand of tire you are considering will have a very different feel on the road and respond differently to driver input. I haven't put different tires on an E55, but I've put several brands on Porsches & BMWs over the years. I'll echo the advice another poster gave you: Ask Tire Rack for a recommendation and give it serious consideration before you go in another direction. I've gotten excellent advice on both track/auto-x and street tires from these folks in the past. But, having said that, my principal criterion would not be price. A particular tire may be inexpensive, have a decent ride, but have a sudden breakaway characteristic that will ruin you whole day. Again, Tire Rack can help you out here.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Message for ChowMan

I'm also on the market for a set of S-03's.<br> The price that you got from America's Tire (Discount Tires) were for what size of tires?<br> Do you have an E55? I just wanted to check.<br> <br> Seems like you got an amazing deal. What state did you order them from? I'm in California so I would guess that the prices should be the same.<br> I'll give them a call tomorrow.<br> <br> Thanks,<br> Edmond<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Message for ChowMan

Bought them at America's / Discount Tires (http://www.discounttire.com, but went to their tire center closest to my house). They quoted me a price of $225 for Pirelli PZero Asymmetrico Rossos fronts (245) and $255 for rears (275)...I was going to get those until I read some great reviews on the S03s on tirerack.com. Asked about the S0-3s...got them for $200 for fronts (245) and $240 for rears (275). Yes, I have a 2001 E55...pic of it on a post about 3 threads down.<br>
<br>
America's Tire Company<br>
980 E Hamilton Ave<br>
Campbell, CA 95008<br>
(408) 377-5010<br>
<br>
This Campbell store did not have them in stock, so they shipped them over from another store location. And yes, the price included installation. Campbell is in the Bay Area, next to San Jose.<br>
<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Message for ChoMan

Thanks ChoMan...<br> Oh, and nice car. You need to get it lowered though. I have a 2001 E55...Silver/Charcoal.<br> <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Message for ChoMan

Thanks Edmond....I had plenty in mind (modifications), before the DMV took $4900 in sales ('user') tax when I went to register the car. That was something I wasn't expecting, and stupid me, something I totally forgot about. So all my plans went down the drain, at least for the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Well I didn't get the kumho tires what I did was order a new set of so-3 from the tire rack.<br> $974 out the door. Installation will be about $80

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Well I didn't get the kumho tires what I did was order a new set of so-3 from the tire rack.<br> $974 out the door. Installation will be about $80

·
Registered
2002 E55
8 Posts
tires

You made the right choice Bob. I have 285/30ZR19 S-03 Bridgestone tires on the rear of my 2002 E55 and was able to post a 1.991 second 60 foot time at the dragstrip on my first outing. I am soon going through a road racing school and feel confident the tires will perform well.
[:D]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts