Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I have a 2004 S430 with 17” wheels.
At some point I will need new tires and the current pirellis have always been so....non-S like. There is a moderate amount of road noise and I find myself very aware of pavement expansion joints etc.

What has everyone found their favorite road tire on these vehicle would be?

·
W220 Moderator
6,592 Posts
Hi,

Sorry I missed this, kinda very busy with my project R170 atm ...............

I now have 18's on all my Cars, I have R170 (which was on it's stock 16" Wheels until recently), W220 (18's staggered) and W203 C Class all were on Avon ZV7's I found that they are really great all rounders ..............

Wet, Dry, Noise, Comfort etc.

I couldn't get them recently in UK for the R170 in 255/35 x 18 Rear and 235 /40 x 18 Front so used Uniroyal Rainsports, so far handling seems good dry, reports data says they are excellent wet, and noise, well I'm not sure yet, but certainly not noticeable smack in the ears different, I've not covered many miles yet in the car since installing the V8 ;)

Tyres are however "Religion" but honestly don't go for Chinese / Dubious "Ditch Finders" unless you drive like Granny, and even then I wouldn't ;)

HTH,

·
Registered
2005 S600
582 Posts
I’ve got Michelin Pilot AS3+ on mine. Nice ride. Great grip. Excellent tires. And you’ll pay for them...Michelin is never cheap.

Hit up Tirerack.com - search on your tire size, and read the ratings, tests, and reviews.

·
Registered
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2000 S500, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
4,764 Posts
There are several threads on this subject.

·
Registered
2003 S55 AMG Pewter
14 Posts
Given the age of our S55 ('03 & 140k mi.), we tend to drive casually. It has done well with Yokohama tires. Tried the Michelins, but the tread life was not too great (~25k). Our S550 came equipped with Pirelli tires.

·
W220 Moderator
2006 S 500
1,139 Posts
Going with the Michelin Pilot Sport as not very good mileage wise. Shockingly poor in my case, less than 8K and the rears were toast ( almost certainly other suspension issues at play here, but still.....). Switched to Continental Control Contact Sport A/S . MUCH better mileage, comfort and noise are on par with the Michelins. The Continentals have been on for 3 years and barely half worn in back.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
They really wear out fast if you don't rotate them in a 4-way rotational schedule, e. g. staggered wheels. This is true of Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+'s and certain other tires. I had a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE970 A/S tires on the '03 S430 for a bit. The S430 has the AMG Sport Package on it, which means the 18" staggered wheels. Additionally, the RE970 A/S's were directional tires. Combined with the staggered config, that meant NO TIRE ROTATION WHATSOEVER. I followed the book and they wore out in fairly short order. I'd say they're fine for non-staggered setups, though (good traction overall). Went with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+'s for the next set. So far, so good for wear. More comfy, too, but sucks for traction in icy conditions compared to the Potenza RE970's, so this car no longer gets driven in the ice. I also went with the same tire size on all four corners so I can do a proper four-tire rotational schedule.

Michelin Premiers are on the wife's 2000 S500. Standard 16" wheels on all 4 corners. They seem to be wearing pretty well, and we do the proper rotation every 6,000 miles.

·
Registered
2005 S600
582 Posts
Wear rate is less of a brand issue and more of a tire performance issue.

You buy a set of Michelin Pilot Sports, they have great performance. So do top of the line Pirellis. But with that great grip comes rapid wear.

Michelin Premiers are excellent tires, but have far more modest traction in exchange for their better wear. My wife's Volvo XC has Michelin Premier tires. My daughter's Volvo wagon has Continental Contacts. Both are all-season tires with a smooth ride, excellent wear, and good handling. But they don't have nearly the traction of the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ on my S600.

Cost. Traction. Tread Life.

Pick two.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Also depends on what you're driving in. Where I live, as I mentioned, we get ice on the roads. Michelin Pilot Sports SUCK in such conditions; other tires do considerably better. It really depends on what kind of driving that one does. For my personal needs, General AltiMAX RT43 tires work perfectly well, and they're relatively quite good in all conditions.

If I were driving on twisty roads on a regular basis or doing a lot of performance driving, then I'd certainly recommend the Pilot Sports. That also applies to places where there's no road ice, e. g. Texas, Georgia, most of California, and so on. I'd even say "OK, just be careful" in flatter places, i. e. not hilly, where there's ice (e. g. Detroit, MI). But in places like Seattle or Virginia or anywhere else with hills and winter ice, there are more optimal choices for year-round driving.

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,944 Posts
You probably won’t believe me but the best tires I’ve had on my w215 were these cheap sunfull sf888

found them by recommendation from this thread

·
W220 Moderator
6,592 Posts
You probably won’t believe me
Well, "yeah but no but" ......................

Sort of .....................

What would be termed a "good all rounder" would be just that ;)

The best Tyres for Wear are "xxxxxx"

The best Tyres for Dry outright performance are "yyyyyy"

The best Tyres for Wet performance are "zzzzzz" ........................ ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts