Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 E 320; 2002 E320 wagon, 2006 E320 CDI, 2010 ML 350 Bluetec, 1981 SD300
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gents,

Under normal driving conditions (no spinning wheels, no hard cornering... etc), and a good alignment, which tires will wear faster, the back ones or the front? This is for a NON 4MATIC 2006 E320 CDI. Keep in mind that the diesel engine on this car is heavier than a regular E320/ E350 gasoline engine.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
386 Posts
I have an 06 E320 CDI with that is running a set of Bridgestone Turanza Serenity. The tires have about 15K miles and I checked the tread depth last week and they were close to the same all around (less that a 32nd of a inch). These tires were rotated and balance by Costco at about 7500 miles and at 15K miles. I had the from end checked several thousand miles ago and it was OK.

This doesn't answer your question but if you buy a good tire and your car is in proper alignment and you rotate the tires and make sure the pressure is correct you should have even wear.

·
Registered
2002 E 320; 2002 E320 wagon, 2006 E320 CDI, 2010 ML 350 Bluetec, 1981 SD300
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an 06 E320 CDI with that is running a set of Bridgestone Turanza Serenity. The tires have about 15K miles and I checked the tread depth last week and they were close to the same all around (less that a 32nd of a inch). These tires were rotated and balance by Costco at about 7500 miles and at 15K miles. I had the from end checked several thousand miles ago and it was OK.

This doesn't answer your question but if you buy a good tire and your car is in proper alignment and you rotate the tires and make sure the pressure is correct you should have even wear.

Thank you for your reply.
The previous owner of the car changed the front tires only (I don't know when). So currently I have a much better tires on the front compared with the ones in the back ( which are still pretty good). So, the reason I was asking about the wear level, was to figure out if I should leave the very good ones in the front longer or switch them with the ones in the back and bring the wear level closer so when it comes the time to change them, to change all 4.
The wear patten is nice and even. Tires are Michelin Primacy.

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
386 Posts
Thank you for your reply.
The previous owner of the car changed the front tires only (I don't know when). So currently I have a much better tires on the front compared with the ones in the back ( which are still pretty good). So, the reason I was asking about the wear level, was to figure out if I should leave the very good ones in the front longer or switch them with the ones in the back and bring the wear level closer so when it comes the time to change them, to change all 4.
The wear patten is nice and even. Tires are Michelin Primacy.
Actually they should have put the new tires on the rear to avoid handling issues. That is what most tire manufacturers recommend. If I were you I would move the fronts to the rear. The rears probably wear a little faster than the fronts. Leave them there until the wear on both front and rear are about equal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts