Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI, 2008 E320 Bluetech, 2009 E63 AMG, 2012 GL550
51 Posts
I did a fair amount of research when I put new shoes on my Wife's GL550. It came from the factory with the Scorpions. My sister and my Mother had similar vintage GL550's and those came with the Contis. You are correct that both got mixed reviews, but the Contis seemed to have more reports of hydroplaning. I stuck with the Scorpions and got them from Tire Rack.

It is a big, heavy, powerful, expensive and awesome vehicle. One of the reasons for buying Mercedes is the safety of my family. The tires are an important part of that equation. I wouldn't skimp on less expensive, "no-name" tires.

Just my two cents.

Cheers!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Any update on this?

How is the ride?

·
Registered
45 Posts
any update?

·
Registered
5 Posts
LEXANI TIRES 295/40R21 FOR 2012 GL550

Just installed after purchasing the 4 Lexani 295/40R21 tires for my 2012 GL550 at online retailer for $163/tire with free shipping. So far, superior handling and breaking. Very smooth drive with no road noise whatsoever. Quiet cabin ride even with sunroof open. Superior acceleration, tested at 85 miles/hour and loved the ride. Will update the post as i place more miles on the rig.

Came with Pirelli Scorpions before and hated the ride, and noise

·
Registered
5 Posts
LEXANI TIRES 295/40R21 FOR 2012 GL550

Just installed after purchasing the 4 Lexani 295/40R21 tires for my 2012 GL550 at ebay for $162/tire with free shipping. So far, superior handling and breaking. Very smooth drive with no road noise whatsoever. Quiet cabin ride even with sunroof open. Superior acceleration, tested at 85 miles/hour and loved the ride. Will update the post as i place more miles on the rig.

Came with Pirelli Scorpions before and hated the ride, and noise
Visit Ebay at 1 New 295 40 21 Lexani LX Twenty 111V Tire P295 40R21 R21 | eBay

·
Registered
1 Posts
I went through a similar dilemma last week. I had found some tires by Atturo for my GL550 mounted/balanced for $800.
I ultimately decided against it and went with Hankooks for $1370 OTD. I didn't feel comfortable with a no name tire despite the cost difference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Lexani 295/40R21

Before i purchased lexani tyre, i visited Lexani Tires and found specification on Tires. Atturo Tires is rated 260AA, where as lexani is 320AA rated and no website. Also same deal with Lionhart tyres. Spoke to Lexani Tires salesperson in California and they were back ordered. From the information i gathered, Ebay sellers are selling a lot Lexani's without no issues. Finally good verification about tyre quality came from Big O Tires store manager, as he has installed on number of vehicles.

Before looking into Lexani's, i decided to move with Continental ExtremeContact DWS instead of pirelli's as they are available at $310/tyre.

So far drove 250 miles on these Lexani's, extremely pleased.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Lexani 295/40R21

Just completed 10 days 2600 miles road trip. So far 4600 miles since install. Service manager was impressed how it handled, liked the drove and even more surprised about the price.

·
Registered
2012 CLS550 4matic / 2009 GL550 4matic / 2006 ML350 4matic / 2005 E320 4matic
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Just completed 10 days 2600 miles road trip. So far 4600 miles since install. Service manager was impressed how it handled, liked the drove and even more surprised about the price.
It's been a year or so, any issues whatsoever with these tires?

My wife's GL is now on belts after only 20k miles with the Conti-Contact UHP $425/tire option we went with last time. At the time I thought spending the money to get the supposed "better quality" tires would be worthwhile. It was not. They provided nothing special in terms of performance and cost more than double what other options are now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My lexani tires have 24k miles and will replace them in a Month. Will go again with same brand. I have rotated and balanced the tires every 8k miles. I am extremely pleased with the Tires. Also, i am replacing my Lexus LS 460 with Lexani as well. My gut feeling says that both lexani and lionhart tires are made by one manufacturer and sold as 2 different brands. Even Nexen Tires may be a better alternative to my Lexus

·
Registered
2012-X164-GL500 (Grand Edition), 2014-W212-E300, 2013-W204-C200, 2012-Volvo S40 SE, 1994-LandCruiser
13 Posts
Here is my experience on 295/40/R21,
New car at OEM Continental ContiCrossContact (or CCC!) UHP. Initially, I liked the car so much, I did not notice tires until four months later. Not that noisy, but not expected traction from a 295 tire and a bit stiff on the cat's eyes on the road. Until the end of the first year of owning the car, THE NOISE. On highway speeds, it was unbearable. No grip, so noisy, and started dry-cracking.

Replaced on 2014 with Pirelli's P-zero at 2200$ a set (local price is overrated). First, It was gripping to the road so much that I would over-take people (safely) in tight turns and freak them out! It was so quite on the highway until it hit three years old, then, it was "meh..." not CCC bad though! Worth mentioning, I discovered the speed limiter at 250KpH on these tires! At the end of year three, I discovered worn-out bushings and broken sway bars had had their toll on the P-Zeros. Replaced worn-out parts then...

on mid-2017, the I had to test the new rubber compound of Continental ContiSportContact 5 (1500$). It has been four months, so far. Very similar to the P-Zeros in terms of quietness, and grip, but I noticed that they were forgiving, when going on top of the cat's eyes, more than the Pirellis were.

I was looking to replace the wheels with a 19", but after calling some tire shops around, they were marginally similar in prices. Then, I was looking for alternatives, but there were non. I heared about Lexian (~850$), but could not trust the brand, at the time, you know that saying/song "better the devil you know...". I already tried Michelin, Continental, Pirelli, and Bridgestone, GoodYear. Good experiences on all but the Bridgestone. Next time, I will ask for that Lexian. Even if it holds up very good for a year, still better investment than Pirelli!

One more thing to note. If you are going to use the Pirelli Scorpion and ContiCrossContact UHP, they are noisy by design. They are an all season tires. All season tires have less surface-to-road contact due to many channels on the tread that repels water and fight hydro-planning and being generally harder rubber compound, as far as I know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am shopping around for replacements for my continental summer tires. I have seen a lot of "avoid Chinese/Korean tires" comments. If these tires are so bad how come the US and Canadian authorities allow them in? Has there been any recorded accidents from using these tires? I will explore the Lexiani option.

·
Registered
2007 GL450
18 Posts
I just replaced my tires. We opted for Michelin. I shopped around. All four cast around 1100. What we did was buy the front set then the back set. I have to say it rides so much better now. It literally feels like driving on clouded. As far as the price I live IB California so they love to stick it to us.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts