Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - great forum you have here with plenty of good advice. I am shopping for new tires for my wife's '97 E420 and while she was at costco today she inquired into their options. The salesman stated she neede the more expensive Michelins and not the Bridgestones, because Bridgestones don't do well with the alignment system on MB's. I find it hard to believe that one brand tire is better for a particular brand of car than another. Can anyone confirm that this is bs?

I have also come across another post here talking about alignments and the need to use a spreader bar - is costco or the local Les Schwab going to have such a tool or do I really need to go to a dealer for an alignment?

Big Thanks from a newbie

·
Registered
1997 E420
91 Posts
A tire shop pulled the same thing on me once - they refused to sell me a certain tire, claiming it wasn't "up to the specs" of a Mercedes.

I've been running Bridgestones on my E420 for close to 10 years and they work fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I figured it was the ol' "she doesn't know anything about cars, so I'll wow her with technical jargon bs", but I had to hear it from someone else. Thanks for the confirmation.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,206 Posts
Even I bought Firestone lately for their 40% off coupon I still think for people driving lot of miles on highways Michelins are the best value. Supposed their Hydro with 90,000 thread are excellent.
Can't beat Costco on labor and guarantees.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts