Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping someone can tell me which tires for my '88 190E 2.3 will perform the best considering the rear-wheel drive and rain. I know it is bound to slip a little, but I want to get a good set for all-weather usage.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Currently, I'm running Yokohamas Avid T4 (ie 'T' rated-softer than 'H' but with more sidewall flex), and Dunlop SP Sport A2. Both '0' size upgraded to 195/60/15 (from stock 185/65/15). Yoks are definitely smoother, Dunlops give you a better feel in turns and allow to push my 190 further than I thought I could. Rain traction is similar, Dunlops are better dry (don't ask me how, but they 'stick' to the road). I would not use any other tire in this price range. my mech recommended Michelin Energy (or a very soft tire), but my understanding is you'll get the same performance for almost 1/2 the money from Dunlops and Yoks. Why are Yok's so cheap? they pay the retailers $20-$30 commission per tire sold. Yokohama pays $5.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My mechanic, very good with older Mercs, also recommended Michelins. I want a great set, but the Michelins are almost $30 to $40 more than any other tire. I have read many posts (tirerack.com) about the Michelins, but the owners do not seem incredibly impressed with them. I don't want to spend the extra money if there is something comperable for $30 less. I've looked at the Dunlops, Bridgestone 950s, and the Yokos, but I just can't decide...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know how you feel,but there just isn't any other way. Look at it this way. If you start w the cheapest set, at least you loose less money if you are dissatisfied. Plus ,Yok's have a 30 day guarantee, so all you loose is shipment and installation costs.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm slightly confused...Are you running the Dunlops and the Yokos at the same time? Front and back? Also, I checked the tires that are on my 190, their size says 205/60/15. Is this the correct size for the car?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I replace tires in pairs, and after running Yoks I wanted to check out the new Dunlops (mainly because my wife drives a 96 'Stang, and she hates Yok's-I wanted to make sure she'll be happy with the next set of tires). Your size is probably slightly too big. Stock size for a 1988 is, I believe 185/65/15. 205/60/15 seems slightly too tall (I think 205/55/115 would be right). Anyway, you can always ask a dealer or check on Tirerack

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I talked to a few people over the weekend, and the only recommendations that I recieved were for Michelins. I'm now seriously considering Michelins or Bridgestone Potenzas. Still to nervous to make a decision though...by the way thanks for all of your help.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, your choice, but I guarantee, that if I put compatible Michelins, Dunlops, Bridgestones, or Yokohamas on your car, you COULD NOT tell the difference. so, the last question is, do you really want to pay extra $30 for the name (and for the CEO's perks)?? Also, Bridgestones are made by Firestone - do you feel safe, now?<br> <br> But ,it's your money...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, after another day of deliberation, I have decided to go with the Bridgestones (RE950's). I've had good experience with Bridgestone before, and I believe that they are they best tire for the money. I thoroughly appreciate you input and recommendations. Thanks again!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts