Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Tires and wheels

820 Views 6 Replies 1 Participant Last post by  Guest (MBNZ)
Thanks piotr for the reply in the tire rack forum. It pisses me off how they only answer questions that are for the high performance. I moderate a guitar gear forum and I don't ignore questions... I only don't answer if I don't know the answer or I have nothing to say or add to it. I gaurantee they know the answer my tire question!!!<br> <br> Since my wheels are ugly and have lost their nice finish, I'd like to replace them. Probably with some new OEM wheels. Or would new C-class wheels work and look better? Only one of my wheels looks good... I don't know why.<br> <br> My tires have probably at least another 6 months left of tread, hopefully more. When it comes time to change I'd like to put different wheels on and different tires (so I don't have to balance twice). I would like tires that are quiet, smooth riding, and do well in the snow and rain. I don't need performance tires or anything, since this car is NO speed demon! :) <br> <br> Thanks
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sure, I've got burned by Luke on Tire Forum many times. Only when I noticed they removed my unfavorable opinion of Yokohamas Avid T4's and asked him if they do such a thing routinely, he responded (They put my review back on :)).<br> <br> Now, TireRack DOES have a decent selection of wheels. For 190, I would NOT suggest upgrades to 16 or 17-inch wheels; specifically if you don't want high performance. <br> <br> Now, for rain and dry driving, you need a wider (shorter footprint) tire with stiffer sidewall, while for snow you need narrower,(longer footprint) tire with softer sidewall that stay soft below 32F. Do you see a paradox??<br> <br> I'm right now in a dilemma myself-with our diesels, we actually DO need a high performance tire, because with 0-60 in 17.2 sec you have to take turns at a higher speed, since you cannot accelerate out of turn as in E models. I bought Yok's Avid T4's, (a touring tire-good snow traction, ok rain, very sloppy in turns with strong sideways roll in dry). Its a comfortable, cheap tire, but way better than, for instance, Bridgestone Eagers (same price). I'm ready to buy new tires , and I narrowed it down to 4 - Bridgestone Potenza RE 950, Dunlop Sport A2, Firestone Firehawk SH 30, and Yokohama avid H4 . looks like for the money, Dunlops are the best. One problem- everyone who bought these tires for a rear wheel drive car complains of poor snow traction. Somebody below described Bridgestone Turanza as an exellent tire including snow traction. The problem-it's about $25-$30 more expensive then any above. <br> Stay clear of Pirelli-they have horrible all-season tires. Michelin is WAY overpriced for what you are getting. Continentals are OEM tires for Mercs, but a) they have a blah performance,and b) they are expensive.<br> <br> As to the wheels, call Tirerack and talk to the sales people-they'll help you (I think I found 2 wheels that look good.)don't let them talk you into buying chromes!!.<br> Just remember, I'd suggest 0-upgrade for tires to 195/60/15-HUGE difference!!<br> <br> Good luck<br>

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Hey Nate .

Hey, I'd gladly help you with the guitar. I moderate the gear forum for www.cyberfret.com Just click on the forums link on the main page, register, and come on in.<br> <br> How much would you be asking for a new set of good condition rims? Thanks!

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Hey Nate .

I assume that you have an 84, which uses a 14' rim & tire. An easy upgrade is to go to 15's. I can get you stock 15 hole wheels or the later 8 hole that came on 94-95 E-class. The stock 15's are $55 each wheel. The upgraded 8 holes are about $110 each. Thanks and I will check out that guitar forum. <br> Pat<br> [email protected]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.