Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed a mild vibration in my 2000 E320 4Matic with 7000mi. I bought it recently and the previous owner had the tires balanced at about 3000mi for the same reason. It feels like a flat spot in a tire (but does not improve when the tire heats up) and I can reproduce it at several speeds, the most common and convenient of which is 37mph. I have swapped the spare on each tire location and it resolves somewhat when the spare is placed on the left rear. My theories are a slipped belt, bad rim, out of round tire. How can this be checked. Naturally, I will have the tires balanced again but if that does not do the trick, does anyone have any other theories or trouble shooting advice? Also, what is the max weight that can be put on a tire before it is considered 'bad?' Do 4Matics do this?<br>
I am new to this group (this is only my second posting) and have enjoyed reading the various forums. Thank you for your responses.<br>
Best regards,<br>
Nick<br>
Boston, MA<p>

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Nick, I am also new to the site. I have a 5 month old 2004 S430 with aprox 4000 miles and have had a high speed (60mph) vibration since new. I just took it in for service 2 weeks ago. At first I was told that I needed 2 new tires and 2 new rims because I must have been playing tag with every pot hole in N.Y.C. Then after much arguing and discussion I was told that I had 2 out of round tires that they would replace free of charge and that I really only needed to replace 1 rim and pay for it. $600.00 later after paying for mounting dismounting and balancing,I was good to go again needless to say I paid the bill and am fighting with Mercedes. I think they tie the cars down wery tight on the car trailor and it does somthing to the tires by leaving a flat spot. Who knows how long they are tied for maybe a month or two.I would try to fight it and write Mercedes,maybe you'll get some satifaction as a good will jesture that's what they put on my service receipt. Al

1 - 2 of 2 Posts