Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed a mild vibration in my 2000 E320 4Matic with 7000mi. I bought it recently and the previous owner had the tires balanced at about 3000mi for the same reason. It feels like a flat spot in a tire (but does not improve when the tire heats up) and I can reproduce it at several speeds, the most common and convenient of which is 37mph. I have swapped the spare on each tire location and it resolves somewhat when the spare is placed on the left rear. My theories are a slipped belt, bad rim, out of round tire. How can this be checked. Naturally, I will have the tires balanced again but if that does not do the trick, does anyone have any other theories or trouble shooting advice? Also, what is the max weight that can be put on a tire before it is considered 'bad?' Do 4Matics do this?<br>
I am new to this group (this is only my second posting) and have enjoyed reading the various forums. Thank you for your responses.<br>
Best regards,<br>
Nick<br>
Boston, MA<p>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Slipped belt?? Try doing all this test.......

<br> 1) Do a tires balance ( this you will be able to see if you have a bad tire balance or a bent rim/wheel). Sometime the tire had defect but the balance seem to be o.k. I seen people replaced the tire and the problem go away.<br> <br> 2) To check for flat spot on your tire. You need to put more air into your's tires(4). The maximun the tire MFG allow. Usaully around 40-45 PSI (check on the tire sidewall)then drive around.<br> <br> 3) Your drive line could be bent at the U-joint and that create a mis-alignment on the drive line. Or your drive line CENTER SUPPOSE bearing is bad. This defect problem usaully happen in car with 100,000 miles. I had this defect happen on my M3.<br> <br> * Personnally, it would think you have a flat spot tires because your's car is a 2000 models with only 7,000 miles. This car seem to park alot. With a major flat spot, you can feel it when drive slowly. It felt like a bump. Did you know that every car had maximun tire pressure in it when being ship over to prevent flat spot?<p>63-93-67-29.lsan.dial.netzero.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Slipped belt?? Try doing all this test.......

Thank you for your reply. And what can be done for a flat spot? New tire?<p>h002078d6790e.ne.mediaone.net

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Try doing burn-out like you..Mch430 !!!! That will even out the flat spot.....hehe...hehe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts