Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1982 240D
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I need some help.
This morning I was pulling out of the drive way and I noticed that the car wasn't really going anywhere even when I had my foot on the gas so I got out to check to see if anything was wrong and as it turns out, the rear passenger tire was flat. So naturally me, the do-it-yourselfer, is out there getting all the tools out (in my skirt and high heels mind you all) and I popped off the hub cap and I took the wrench to the bolts and of course it wasn't budging. So I thought maybe I don't have enough muscle (which I don't just look at my q-tip arms) so I called out my older brother to help me and he couldn't do it either. So I was in a rush, I sprayed WD-40 on the bolts and thought I'd wait til I got home to do the job. Of course the things still won't budge. I really don't want to call AAA because I only get 2 major fixes a year and I'd rather save them for roadtrips (if something goes wrong). Any other suggestions?? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
DO you know any other guys who might help...maybe it just needs a bit more effort than your arms can provide. No offense meant by that. I don't know how big or strong your brother is....do you have or have you tried one for those big X type lug wrenches? You can definately get more torque on them than the stubby factory one.

·
Registered
84 300D Turbo
56 Posts
See if anyone has a length of galvinized pipe (5/6 feet in length) 3/4 inch to an inch inside diameter (whatever is the outside diameter of your lug wrench handle). Insert it over the lug wrench handle. The additional leverage should do the trick. Also spraying PC blaster on the lug nuts would help penetrate the rust much better.

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,162 Posts
Mine were that tight. I had to stand on the lug wrench and bounce. Squeek, squeek, squeek, swing.

90-100 ft/lbs is all you want on those lugs. That's tight, but not obscenely tight like they are. When you torque them that far, you can stretch the threads. Mine were stretched to the point where I felt it best to replace them. They're around $50 + shipping.

·
Registered
1982 240D
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I did manage to stand on it with all of my weight but it hardly did anything (I'm a peanut in size) Thanks for your suggestions and keep 'em coming!

·
Registered
83 300D-T
72 Posts
If you don't have a piece of pipe (probably should invest the 10 bucks in a 4 foot piece from the depot), you can use a round end of 3/4 inch wrench over your rachet and force it. Be careful not to break the rachet - or use a craftsman so if it does break, you can get a replacement for free.
This cheater method has gotten me outta lots of jammed bolts - including the lugs on several cars. Good to use the WD-40. That a girl!
Also, you could bang on it with a hammer to loosen the bond before wrenching it.

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,162 Posts
Okay, put the wrench on the other side (turning UP). Then, raise the handle with the jack. Just make sure it is TOTALLY on the lug or it will slip and strip.

But I like the pipe idea if you have one.

(The jack on the handle method works well for the differential plug where you don't have the room for a long lever.)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Greg, the correct torque is 110Nm, thats app. 80lbs/ft for steel wheels and 90Nm (70lbs/ft) for alloy rims. You'll need longer bolts for (original) alloy wheels than for steel wheels.

I do not agree, that using WD40 or something near the discbrakes is a good idea, and it's doubtfull, that it will reach the thread of screw.

·
Registered
05 E55
99 Posts
HELLO? ARE WE FORGETTING SOMETHING?????

Mercedes Roadside Assistance??? Get them to come out, make it their problem. FREE OF CHARGE! Just 'cause you own a Mercedes Benz Automobile!! Get them to come out and work on it!

WOOHOO!!

http://www.mbusa.com/care/client-care/roadside-assistance.do
Throughout the life of your Mercedes-Benz, a Roadside Assistance expert is just a toll-free call away. Call 1-800-FOR-MERCEDES (1-800-367-6372) for assistance any time you're on the road, day or night, if you have a problem related to your Mercedes-Benz.

If you ever need assistance while traveling in your Mercedes-Benz, just call 1-800-FOR-MERCEDES (1-800-367-6372) for our 24-Hour Roadside Assistance. Our Roadside Assistance Experts know Mercedes-Benz automobiles, and they're well prepared to handle unforeseen roadside complications. And here's a reassuring fact: Every Mercedes-Benz in the U.S. - no matter how old, how many miles it's logged or how many owners it's had - qualifies for Roadside Assistance, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Roadside Assistance repairs could involve charges for services and parts. Depending on the circumstances, an outside service may provide Roadside Assistance repairs at the discretion of Mercedes-Benz USA LLC.
Sign and Drive

"What should I do if I run out of gas? If I get a flat tire? If my battery dies?"

When you own a Mercedes-Benz, the answer is simple: don't worry. Our Roadside Assistance Program includes a free service called Sign and Drive, providing prompt relief for the three biggest headaches of the highways. We'll jump-start your run-down battery, bring you a few gallons of fuel to get you back on your way or change a flat tire using your spare, all free of charge.

·
Registered
83 300 d t
699 Posts
they will realy come out and change a tire for free on a car with 238 thousand on the clock this is amazing . why would you pay AAA.

·
Registered
'77 6.9, 74 240D, 96 Ram 5.9L Cummins
2,654 Posts
they only tow to the nearest dealer......where they make the money on you ;) what's that a new battery....yes that will be $4500

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
When I needed the wagon jumped (my car seemed to not be enough??) I called the number and they came by 30 mins later with a new ML350 and did some diagnostics to ascertain it's really dead. Jumped the car and gave him a $10 tip :D

They could replace the tire for free though...well they should... :D

·
Registered
'77 6.9, 74 240D, 96 Ram 5.9L Cummins
2,654 Posts
washerman said:
they dont jump start you change tire or give you diesel i should have tryed them when i got blow out last week
what happened?

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,162 Posts
Let's read that again:

"Every Mercedes-Benz in the U.S. - no matter how old, how many miles it's logged or how many owners it's had - qualifies for Roadside Assistance, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
We'll jump-start your run-down battery, bring you a few gallons of fuel to get you back on your way or change a flat tire using your spare, all free of charge."

I have never tried them, but I have heard stories from people who have. Yes, they will. Free of charge.
And they'd probably even do it with a smile for a cute red-head.

·
Super Moderator
89 Mercedes 300E, 91 Mercedes 300CE, 71 BMW turbo 2002, 73 BMW 2002tii, 85 BMW 635csi
18,664 Posts
Mercedes-Benz of Anchorage,Alaska......... a big F.U. from them on Roadside Assistance.

·
Registered
1981 240D
858 Posts
Gregs300CD said:
And they'd probably even do it with a smile for a cute red-head.
LOL i think you're probably right. I am curious to hear about all the troubles people are having about the roadside assistance before i develop a false sense of security about it.

so RubyRed, did you ever get the wheel off??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts