Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
MB AMG C36
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have some worn to the belt Michelin Sport 225/45-17's and 245/40-17's on my C36. Needless to say one session on Grattan raceway worn them right down, well on top of a little fun on some back country roads. I now am looking for a more reasonable, reliable, and durable tire for three seasons. I live in a moderate climate with a fair amount of rain and some sleet in spring and fall. Can anyone give me some good suggestions? I need good water displacement...thanks for any ideas!

Jeff Armbrecht

·
Registered
99 C43
1 Posts
I run my C43 on Toyo T1-S and I like them a lot. Sticky and good in wet conditions. They...

I run my C43 on Toyo T1-S and I like them a lot. Sticky and good in wet conditions. They dont wear as fast as some other tires (PZeros as an example)

·
Registered
99 C43 AMG
5 Posts
Kumho MX

Try the Kumho Ecsta MX...half the price of Pilot Sports, very grippy synthetic compound, good wet and dry performers. Only problem: they tend to flat spot like airplane tires (made from same compound) if you get them speed-hot in cold weather and let them sit. Overinflating them slightly solves this problem nicely.

·
Registered
C36 1995 built
17 Posts
My car came with Bridgestone S-01s which were great and really suited the car.

When they wore out at 45000Km I decide to try the Michelin Pilot Sports instead of the S01s or S02s.

What a mistake that was, the tyre's shoulders/sidewall were too soft for this car ( quite front heavy and skinny comapred to the rear ) and squealed and understeered a lot on 90 deg turns. Wet traction upon acceleration was poor compared to the S01s. On the plus side they were very comfortable and quiet, and their drop off in grip quite linear all the way to the end of their tread life.

At 90,000Km I replaced them with a set of Bridgestone
RE050s ( S-03 not aval in Aust in 245/40 size ). They have been fantastic, it's OE on the C32 and the Ferrari Enzo specified them too. They are very progressive and the tread design is quite heavily treaded ( high % of sea to land ratio) and can get very tipsy and overheat very easily on the track when the tyre is at full tread depth. On the streets they are great, rides better then the S01s but still some way off the suppleness of the Michelin Pilot Sports.

May be AMG choose a tyre with rigid shoulders/sidewalls in mind for their suspension setup in mind and hence the Michelins do not fare so well here, even though they are fantastic on some sports car like the Porsches 996s and 986s.

·
Registered
W202 1998 AMG C43
9 Posts
When I bought my C43 it had an almost new set of P7000's and after only another 7,000Km they are borderline legel. Clearly a soft and sticky tyre but no useful mileage as they have done about 20,000Km in total. Might go back to Continental with their new SuperSportContact2, at least the first set lasted over 40,000Km. I understand they are better and are very quiet on the road.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts