Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1997 S500
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time for tires.
I was thinking of giving the Toyo Z800 of Toyo Proxes TPT a try.
The Z800 is an 80K tire and has a very low speed rating (for a S500). I believe it's "T" rated which means it rated up to 118mph. The Proxes looks a bit more aggressive and has a higher speed rating ("H" or up to 130mph) It has a 65K warranty. Anyone out there have an opinion on these two tires or any other for that matter?
BTW, they're the exact same price- $122 a tire.
Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
1997 S500
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Proxes is 100- the Z800 is 99.

·
Registered
w140 s300turbodiesel
238 Posts
Toyo is an excellent low-end tyre. Cheap but sticky nonetheless.

On an S-class, however, Michelin, Pirelli and Continental are the only factory recommended tyres. I run on Avon Z1 and they are crap. Much better than your Toyos, but still crap. During winter I use Pirelli. When the avons run out I'll be looking to Michelin for a summer tyre.

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
Interesting .. I run on P600's and I have the shakes if I park for more than a couple of days without driving .. I have recently invited AVON tyres to see if they are able to sort the problem.. they are sending me a pair to try on tuesday or wednesday.. I will know in a week or so if they work.. the technical director is interested in the problem..If theses dont do the job .. he will find one that will..

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
I am very happy with Bridgestone Turanzas, I too have had the tire issue with vibration, run them at 36

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
TYRE Suggestions?

I have had no problem with the grip or noise on any of the tyres I have tried to date.. just the deformation situation due to weight..leading to the dreaded wheel wobble..this situation results in my suspension system turning itsef OFF resulting in a hard and harsh ride..because of the amount of vibration the system will not RESET itself till I cycle the whole system again..so I now find If i drive hard for a few miles.. stop remove the key.. let about 5 minutes pass then start driving again.. i get silky smooth ride.. otherwise i have to do it again till i get the tyres round, and the system behaving itself..

·
Registered
w140 s300turbodiesel
238 Posts
Any tyre place worth its salt will tell you that avon is a completely wrong and wholly inadequate tyre for rolling an s-class. And I'm guessing your avon guy will be bringing 'round some Z3s, right? They do look pretty...230 quid a pop if memory serves me right...for the 18"s at least...

·
Registered
w140 s300turbodiesel
238 Posts
merc600: when your dampers go into hard/sport mode, do any of the lights on the dash illuminate, or perhaps the red led on the switch itself?

·
Registered
'07 S65 AMG '95 S600 '98 E430 '83 300SD '81 300D
111 Posts
My 2 cents....One of the best performing AND smoothest riding tires I have ever tried (255/45/18 on 18" AMG Aeros) is the Dunlop SP9000. Good milage, excellent wet weather traction, and most importantly a wonderful ride...even considering the 18" low profile size.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
posix - 3/26/2005 8:06 PM

merc600: when your dampers go into hard/sport mode, do any of the lights on the dash illuminate, or perhaps the red led on the switch itself?
No no lights but a temp fault code..that clears itself when you reset..

As for the tyres.. not a clue what they will turn up with.. however , they have said that they will find a fix for the prob...

As for the Dunlops.. I like them as well .. but.. they have a tendancy to go straight on when I want to go around the corner.. so I will give them a miss thanks..

·
Registered
1997 S500
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It too have considered the Contental's, Michelin's and Pirelli's. The reason I'm considering the Toyo's are the excellent reviews (non S class) I've read online and the reputation of the tire dealer (Les Schwab- for those of you in the North West). I've still got a few months so I'll continue my research. Thank you all for your inputs.
Paul

·
Registered
1999 S500 1993 300e 2.8 1991 190e Sportline 2.6 5sp
142 Posts
I just replaced my Michelin Pilot H4GT's with the new Goodyear Assurance tires. I was very hesitant to do this since I really wanted an aggressive tire. I had been looking at the Dunlops (I forgot the tire style), I liked the tire pattern (almost like Kumhos) but I was not very sure. The shop person advised me that the Dunlops have a very soft rubber compound, and on a car as heavy as my S500, the tires would not last more than 25K miles. The Goodyear Assurance is a very good tire. It is rated as follows:

Treadware: 700
Traction: A
Temperature: B
Speed Rating: 99T

Price: $131.50

The tires come with a 2 year warranty - 80K mile, 2 year road assistance, and a "No-questions-asked" 30 day exchange if not satisfied. The shop, if I am not happy with the performance of the tire, will replace them with the Dunlops after 500 miles.

So far, the tires are well behaved - I lowered the tire pressure to 32 lbs in front and 33 lbs in the rear. They had it at 35 lbs all around!! They are very quiet, and very responsive. I cannot notice any side drifting, although the side walls are quite soft and not as stiff as the Dunlops. According to Goodyear, these tires are specifically designed for luxury/performance cars such as ours - heavy, accurate steering, and fast!! I am actually impressed with the tires and I truly believe that you guys will like them as well. Very smooth and quiet over rough roads and freeways. And, as you know, we have been having a lot of heavy rain here in So. California - and I still drive at 80(+) MPH routinely. These tires displace the water very well. I do not know about snow - it does not snow here.

If interested, I will keep you guys posted.

Joey.-

·
Registered
1997 S500
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, this is with the stock 16" rims.

·
Registered
1997 S500
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Joey,
Yes, I'm very interested. A few questions though...
You mention an 80K warranty. You also mention a two year warranty. Is the two year a full replacement and the 80K a pro-rated type warranty?

For the same reasons I'm a little hesitant about the Toyo Z800, the load rating of 99 rather than 100 on the Michelins and the "T" speed rating. Not that I plan to be cruising a speeds greater than 118mph but I can see a burst up to 125mph or so- you know, to impress the in-laws[}:)]. Anyway, will exceeding this speed- even for a few moments be dangerous? Will a one digit change in the load rating really make a difference on an 80K tire. Truth be known, I'd be happy to get 45K out of any tire.

·
Registered
1999 S500 1993 300e 2.8 1991 190e Sportline 2.6 5sp
142 Posts
PCHansen1:

More than likely, I assume, it would be pro-rated. But the point is that they warrant the tire for 80K miles or 2 years - they should last you this long. And let's assume that you get only 45K out of the tires, then it would be pro-rated for the remainder but who drives 40K miles per year?? Makes sense??

In fact, I took my 1999 S500 to the dealer to get the front end aligned. Mainly because it needed it - car pulling to the right with these new tires, but secondly, for the tire warranty - I figured what the heck...?! It turns out that the left tie-rod end (controls toe-in toe-out??) was siezed. They could not get the adjusting sleeve to move. The left one was OK. Therefore, the mechanic could not align the front end. The adjustment was way out and basically, we were screwed. The car needed both tie-rod ends (why keep an old one, right?) Fortunately, I have my GMAC Extended Premium warranty (I bought the car at a Cadillac dealer, and I was offered their package) and the advisor placed in a called to them regarding this problem, and they approved the work 100%. While we were at it, they also approved to replace the rear window sun screen since the motor had siezed. It simply would not go up and down. They also approved this work 100% - how lucky am I!?!?!? Hurrah for Extended Warranty!! Oh!.. also, I had the front pads replaced as well - only 5% left. No, I had to pay for this work @ $220.00. I will give you guys the total cost once I get the final bill.

The point of this lengthy dissertation, is that once you get the tires, get the front end aligned, and rotate the tires (free rotation included from "Just Tires") as it states in the Warranty, and you will not have any problems getting the tires replaced (pro-rated or not) and for sure you will at least get some form of credit for the new ones since you followed the warranty and had the car aligned to manufacturer's specs at the dealer, even!!. By the way, the Pilots I had (HGT4s ???) only lasted me about 23K miles.

Will keep you posted. And I will post more info from the Goodyear's Warranty Booklet.

Will do another write up in the next few days - the booklet is in the glove box at the dealer.

Joey.-

·
Registered
1997 S500
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Joey,
Thanks for keeping me up to speed on the Goodyear experience. I went to tirerack.com and read a lot of the consumer reviews regarding this tire. Quite a few people have mentioned an absolutly incredable ride but a decrease in gas milage. I'm guessing it's due to the softer sidewall. Have you noticed any difference? Also, the placard on the driver's door jam says to run the tires at 28 psi front/29 psi rear. Running tires in the mid-thirties is a pretty drastic difference relative to what the factory recomends. Are people usually following the factory or what a specific tire manufacturer recomends for their tire?

·
Registered
2002 S500, `94 S350D, 93 300SD
16 Posts
Hi,

click on this link,

http://www.onlinetires.com/Tires/ToyoTires.htm

and you can find the Toyo`s, myself i bought the Z800 Ultra`s and i love them. They`re only $85/each plus shipping. And by the way, they come with a 100K miles warranty, and since Les Schwab sells them also, you get your free rotations, pressure checks, flat repairs, FOR FREE.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
So we have had a pair of the avon Z3 new tread pattern fitted.. need to wait till morning to find if they flat out but first impressions are favorable..quiet and very responsive.. I have not given them a good workout yet.. need to let the soap dry so the tyre will not spin on the rim..same dificult situation with ballancing though.. nice ride when travelling at moderate speed...load rating is 100 speed is wz up to 380KPH.. hmm wonder what the world looks like at that speed???

1 - 20 of 25 Posts