Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2001 E320
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so its time to switch up my tires. I have the 17inch w211 rims, and I am tired of feeling bumps in the road. I want a nice cushy tire, but i dont want to look like im sitting on 6 inches of rubber (although that sounds comfortable).....what are some of the option i should entertain....and whats best if you are on a budget...im in college so im not trying to drop 450 a tire...but i would like to feel like i did....

·
Registered
E-ZGO 53 HP., 99 E 430 sport, 04 E55 AMG, 2008 Tahoe LTZ Sold Porsche to Brother
1,906 Posts
what tire?

masokolson said:
Ok so its time to switch up my tires. I have the 17inch w211 rims, and I am tired of feeling bumps in the road. I want a nice cushy tire, but i dont want to look like im sitting on 6 inches of rubber (although that sounds comfortable).....what are some of the option i should entertain....and whats best if you are on a budget...im in college so im not trying to drop 450 a tire...but i would like to feel like i did....

On my E 430 the oem was Goodyear F1 Looked great but they sucked, way loud. I replaced them with Brigestone Turanzas and they are smooth and quiet and make my 430 sport look like an old mans car. Happy but they are big $$$ 1200 a set.

On my E55 I use the Kumho and a full set is $500 they are as good or better than the OEC Continentals. I buy these cause the car has a staggered set up and it eats tires (512 hp):D.

What ever you do take the time to check out the tire rack website and or call Luke at tire rack he can get you what is best for you.

Here is a link they are a sponser here.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/tire-racks-tire-wheel-brake-suspension/

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Hey, Masokolson.

What tires are you riding on now? I had some of the high-mileage-rated Michelin MXV4 Energy tires on for about a month and couldn't stand them, felt every pebble -- and that was on 16s.

I'm on 211 wheels with Continental Extreme Contacts and the ride is fine, softer than the 16" Michies were, and the roads around here can be pretty lousy. The contis are about $600 a set, nice compromise of handling, longevity, price and traction.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
1990 420SEL, 1979 450SEL, 1973 450SE, 2003 C320S, 2005 C230WZ, 2005 E320W Avantgarde
95 Posts
I have a recommendation. Try upgrading your shock absorbers to a new set of Bilsteins with better damping characteristics. Believe it or not, a shock with better damping will absorb most of the vibration from the ride. It will also prevent bottoming, as well as wallowing.

W210s are notorious for being soft and ponderous. If you have the OEM shocks, you may see a benefit in fitting an E55 shock or Bilstein HD.

For tires, what size are you running? It should be a 235/45-17. I find the new Goodyear Eagle resnonse Edge pleasant. I also love the Michelin Pilot Primacy. Very comfortable tire, as well has good grip.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2012 C300 Sport 4Matic and 2003 CLK430 Cabrio
1,919 Posts
I have the Michelin PS2 and I think they ride very nice and quiet. The down side is that they will set you back $800.00 per set:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
i personally always liked dunlops more. they do wear a little faster though, but it;s worth it. i have the dunlop sport maxx. very quiet, great cornering, and the ride is really nice. no good for snow though.

·
Registered
96 and 08 911 turbos
2,988 Posts
I have yokohama AVID H4s and for a 45 series tire they are ok. I wish they rode softer, but I believe thats due more to my bad CA bushings. They are cheap 106 from tire rack, and they are quiet.

Id love a pillow soft ride from the 430, but its not happening.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
On my last car (98 E430) I bought a set of Goodyear Comfort Tread. I thought they had good handling characteristics, but were also soft and quiet. If you want a more agressive tread pattern, they also make a Triple Tread that makes use of the same technology.

I also think they have a 80,000 mile warranty, but they will probably cost you about $150 each.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1996 E320
190 Posts
well i have 18's on my car with some sumitomo htrz II i think, tires honestly are not that great but i did get new BIlstein HD shocks and ride is definetely softer then it was

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Yokahama

OliverK said:
I have yokohama AVID H4s and for a 45 series tire they are ok.
The Toyota dealer where I take my Camry for service highly recommends Yokahama tires. The service manager refers to them as a "poor man's Michelin". I think I might try a set when my current Goodyear Eagles on the Camry are worn out.

·
Registered
2001 E 430
84 Posts
Interesting I should find this being asked...I just put a set of Nexen tires on yesterday. I'l bought the $175.00 per tire tires and hmmm not too impressed. I did some research and found these on several different forums (sorry don't remember which) and spoke to my tire guy about them. He's put them on several different MBZ and BMW and the owners have been really happy with them...as am I. I took them out for a quick spin last night and let me tell you, for the price of next to nothing they do the trick. Although I ended up with a $500.00 price tag aftar mount, balance and a 4 wheel alignment, I'm gonn have to recommend them. Here is a link to a set on eBay. Good luck! eBay Motors: 17" NEXEN N3000 TIRES W/ FREE SHIPPING 235 45 17 (item 190106556323 end time May-01-07 12:40:00 PDT)

·
Premium Member
2012 C300 Sport 4Matic and 2003 CLK430 Cabrio
1,919 Posts
I have put Kuhmos on a lot of cars. They tires are the best deal out there. The are very good in the snow and smooth in the summer. I have PS2's on the E and I plan on buying a set of Kuhmos.

·
Registered
Oo == oO 98 E320
674 Posts
Had used nothing but Michelins...ever. When I needed new ones last month I checked Tire Rack's site for tests & survey results. Bought the newly available Continental Pro Contact on sale at Sears for $105 each (16") & have been happier with them than the Michelin MXV'4's. Noticed the ContiPro's are one of the tires being used on new 211's.

·
Registered
2004 CLK 320 Elegance Cabriolet
680 Posts
Don't know if Fulda tyres are available in the US but I've recently put on four Fulda Exelero tyres (try their web site) 235 X 40 X 18 on my new alloys and they've been excellent. Fantastic grip and very very quiet. Fulda tyres are made in Germany. They have only recently been making these in Australia but are exactly the same. Check them out.

Cheers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts