Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
i have e280 that came with 225\55\16 orginal tire
in the last time i changed tires to 245\40\18 in all 4 wheels.

15062011008.jpg
now i want to Replace the rear wheels to wider tire.
the sport edition rear wheels is 265\35\18. or maybe 275\35\18.

but i dont know what is the offset of my 18" rims. (maybe its 8.5?)

so i am asking if i can put the 275\35\18 or 265\35\18 on those rims?

thanks

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
Hello
i have e280 that came with 225\55\16 orginal tire
in the last time i changed tires to 245\40\18 in all 4 wheels.

now i want to Replace the rear wheels to wider tire.
the sport edition rear wheels is 265\35\18. or maybe 275\35\18.

but i dont know what is the offset of my 18" rims. (maybe its 8.5?)

so i am asking if i can put the 275\35\18 or 265\35\18 on those rims?

thanks
You're mixing up a couple of things. You reference offset, but the number you then throw out is a measurement of width (8.5).

The other consideration is that you can't just pick a size for the rear; it has to be roughly the same OD as the front tire or you will trigger alerts in the car that will disable safety systems (ABS, ETS, etc.). Based on a front tire size of 245/40-18 you should use 275/35-18 for the rear in a staggered setup.

Obviously at some point you bought new wheels, and that is the answer to part of your question. Since no one here knows what wheels you put on, you'll have to figure out the specs; most wheels (and all MB OE wheels) have the measurements stamped/cast into the back/inside of the wheel, so pull one of the rear ones off and get the measurements. Key here will be the width. If you bought them in all the same size, it's possible you will have to purchase new wheels for the rear if you want to run a staggered setup (OE staggered setups provide for a 1" wider wheel width in the rear).

But to see what is possible with what you have, once you determine your width measurement, you can use a tire selector, like at tirerack.com, and look up the specific brand and model of the tires you are considering. Then look at the tire specifications for the exact size you want (the 275/35) and look at the minimum rim width. If that is greater than the rim width on your car, you will need to buy two new wheels if you want to run a staggered setup.

The last consideration is that you will not be able to rotate the tires once you go staggered, so your tire life is likely to suffer.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok i Checked and its all 4 wheels 8.5
so i can put 275\35\18 or 265\35\18 on These wheels?

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
I can't answer that. All I can do is quote below part of what I already said. Read it closely and you can figure it out for yourself, since it largely depends on the specific make and model of the tire you want to use.

If you don't want to go click a couple of links to figure out the tires you want and then check the manufacturer specs for rim width, you can instead go to a good tire store and ask them for assistance. They won't sell you a tire that won't fit the rim.

...once you determine your width measurement,
1. you can use a tire selector, like at tirerack.com, and
2. look up the specific brand and model of the tires you are considering.
3. Then look at the tire specifications for the exact size you want (the 275/35) and look at the minimum rim width.
4. If that is greater than the rim width on your car, you will need to buy two new wheels if you want to run a staggered setup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts