Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am thinking about upsizing my tires. I currently have LT265/70/16 BFG AT KO (51 lbs/tire). Load Range D. This translate to a 31" tire.

I want to go to 265/75/16 (32") tire. I was thinking of going with Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor. The size LT265/75/16 has a load range C...weighs in at 48 lbs/tire. It is taller than what i have now (32" vs. 31").

As for load range differences (C vs D), i don't worry too much. First, i don't tow anything or carry anything real heavy. Secondly, GY SA has an extra Kevlar layer (5 x stronger than steel belt) that should provide further puncture resistance and possibly close the gap between the two load ranges. Benefit is that GY SA weighs less.

So, what do you guys think?? Will my fuel economy be affected that much?? Yes, i am going to a taller tire, but each new tire weighs 3 lbs less than what i have now.

BTW, i want to try something new and this is why i am not going with BFG AT KO 32". In addition, BFG AT KO 32" weighs 51 lbs/tire.

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW, if you want to know more about GY SA, then see:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8881

·
BenzWorld G Class Host
2002 800RMK
1,518 Posts
The weight is really going to be inconsequential regarding your fuel economy. You might see a slight ride improvement with a lighter tire. Then again the sidewall stiffness might be more of a factor. Pretty sure it will be a wash.

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
yea the mpg is bad anyway so i doubt you will tell a difference. I have the same tire but not in a silent armor. They do a grate job on and off road. If all goes well i should make it 50K miles on these. I have 25K on them now and they are half way gone. But im an agressive driver and they see frequent spinning on dirt and rocks.

looks like they make a load rage E as well,

I say go for it. I love mine and will probably get another set of them when these are gone. They just dont sling the mud like they use to ;)

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
Are you looking for taller tires? I think the bfg a/t in size 275/60r16, (also availbe in a Goodyear MTR and maybe your GSA) is also a really cool size becuase it gets you a little more wide tire for rubber on the road/cornering with just a half inch increase in diameter.

You might also want to look at the dueler revo a/t's. Interesting compounding results in good cold weather behavior (if it exists in texas) and they seem to be really hard to hydroplane.

You might actually see an improved ride and better highway mileage with the taller tires. I think with my 33's it cruises better at faster speeds becuase it gets the RPM's down somewhat... i might also say the mileage is a wash, although it could be slightly better on the highway for the RPM reduction. In town mileage should be worse. You mileage read-out on your dash will always make you think it's worse, but that's because the number of miles it thinks your traveling per gallon is somewhat less than actual.

For example, my car thinks i'm getting 12.5 on average, but if i divide actual miles by actual gallons, plus the fact that it was never that accurate to begin with and it's works out to be about 14mpg in reality. Which is right on par with my first 20-30k miles with stock tires and i think i'm driving faster than i used to on the highway. Tire pressure believe it or not also makes a fair difference... i'm still running 35psi like stock tires.

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ewalberg,

Do you mean 275/70/16?? Yes, i did consider it, but the height increase is merely 0.25" (radius, not diameter). I thought about it, but i might as well go 0.5" higher.

I take my G off-road quite a bit and i do air-down. Therefore, i need a strong sidewall. For AT tires, the only tires that have thick sidewalls are Goodyear Wrangler SA and BFG AT KO. Therefore, Bridgestone Dueler REVO and Nittos don't work for me.

Goodyear Wrangler SA, in my opinion, bridges the gap between BFG AT KO (more off-road oriented) and Bridgestone Dueler REVO (more on-road oriented).

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
The 275 is not bad. that is what size i have on the stock rim(275-65-18). you can air down a lot and not bust the bead. When we where painting the wheels with no air in the tires it too the tire machinee two or three time to bust the bead to get the tire off.

This is with 40 psi, they call for 80 but it will shake you teeth out at 80 psi. At anyrate you can see how the "baloon out" a little bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
yeah, good catch, saigon... 275/70r16. The good thing about it is the mere .25 radius change as you put it. But perhaps in your case that's also the bad thing. You might be able to keep your spare tire the same, and keep your cover. or by some surprise, it might still fit under the tire cover.

Any reason you;re not considering the 255/85r16's?

Oh, and kerr, the 80psi is the max pressure you can run in the tire which basically assumes max load as well, not the recommended nor the optimal pressure for a "normal" situation. Even at 40psi, it's not unlikely that your running a little too much air for the weight of the unloaded vehicle.

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ewalberg - 4/12/2006 3:55 PM
Any reason you;re not considering the 255/85r16's?
What's the advantage of this size over 265/75/16??

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
offroad. Even taller tire, so more clearance, more sidewall, higher ground pressure, no apparent rubbing from anyone who'se used them (i think unmobile and ... i forget the fellow with the hitchinson beadlockers has that size too).

downsides are worse cornering, but you've already said your not a speed demon so it seems like maybe it'd suite you well.

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool. Let me check into that. Thanks.

UPDATE: i checked...both Goodyear Wrangler SA and BFG AT KO do NOT offer in 255/85/16. Did you mean 235/85/16?? If so, then i would pass on it...too skinny.

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
Nope, 255/85r16. Maybe not that common size... here's what tirerack has, but there's gotta be a few more options than this.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp?width=255%2F&ratio=85&diameter=16&startIndex=0&search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&RunFlat=All&x=63&y=11

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright, semi-stupid question:

I keep the spare tire the same as now (265/70/16; 31"), while upsizing the other 4 tires to 265/75/16 (32"). When i get a flat, can i deflate the tire across from it (on same axle) to the same diameter and be OK with the electronics??? That is, if i get a flat tire, i just switch it out with the small spare and then deflate the other tire to the same size. Is this possible??

I know...i should get the spare inverter thingy from Rockware. But, i was just wondering.

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
I would expect to get errors from the esp/abs system, but frankly that's just a nuisance you could deal with in an emergency... it's the potiential for drive-train damage resulting from axles constantly rotating at different rates that would make me concerned.

Without any personal experience, it's been said here several times that running mismatched tire diameters can generate extra heat because it makes the gear sets in the diffs and t-case rotate at abnormal relative rates.

Maybe if you have all fancy full synthetics it makes less an issue, and if you drive slower... like not 75 down the highway on a hot day?...

I decided to do a 5 tires rotation because i hait waisting the spare, they're relatively dangerous after 10 years of age and should not be put into service without caution, and i like to know my spare is a balanced replacement in all respects.

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ewalberg...yup, that is why i asked about deflating the other tire (on the same axle) to the SAME diameter as the spare...do you think that it will work??

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
saigonsmuggler - 4/14/2006 7:08 AM

Ewalberg...yup, that is why i asked about deflating the other tire (on the same axle) to the SAME diameter as the spare...do you think that it will work??
Diameter is not the problem, circumference is the issue. With or without air, the circumference isn't going to change. You will have problems.

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
yeah, there was actually a thread a long while back where i think it was noted that even if you totally deflate the tire, it'll still roll a similar distance per revolution as an inflated tire.

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
ewalberg - 4/14/2006 11:03 AM

yeah, there was actually a thread a long while back where i think it was noted that even if you totally deflate the tire, it'll still roll a similar distance per revolution as an inflated tire.
My thoughts were based on basic Geometery - which somehow I still remember from high school. Everything has been discussed at some point on this forum, there probably is an old topic out there!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts