Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1984 280GE LWB
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, I went smaller on my tires, going from 31 x 10.5 on 15's to a 235 x 75 on 15's. I did this for a few reasons: 1) I was not happy with the snow traction, 2) Tire Rack had a great deal on REVO's, and 3) to reduce wear on my bearings and put off future bearing replacements. The No. 3 reason was the most important. Now I'm not completely happy with the look of the smaller tire and may go back to the 31's . Because they're a better winter tire, and as a compromise, I may put the REVO's on for just November through March (most of my off-roading is May - Sept).

I would like to hear what you all think about how much wear I am actually saving by losing the larger tire or using the larger tire half-time. Is the benefit worth running the smaller tire? Keep in mind I put no more than 5,000 to 6,000 miles a year on the truck, everything is stock, and no towing or heavy loads.

As always, thanks.

Phil

·
BenzWorld G Class Host
2002 800RMK
1,518 Posts
I don't think that the 31" tire is large enough to really cause any "extra" wear, certainly not enough that you could put a number to it. More importantly, make sure whatever tires are on there are pefectly balanced and the steering stabilizer is new enough to be doing its job. Using stock wheels also keeps the load on the bearings where it belongs. Pushing the wheels out and running 35's like Harald has done will cause shorter service intervals. I doubt your scenario will.

IMO the ideal tire for your use would be the BFG AT KO in the 31" size. They are rated as a dedicated snow/ice tire and provide excellent durability off-road and decent wear. Tall and skinny tires certainly are effective but the rubber compound is more critical in cold weather (winter driving).

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
im with brent, also with only 6K miles a year you could run huge tires for 10 -15 year and not have any problems. I currently have a 2002 so my tires / wheel off sets are different, anway im running 275-65-18's Good years. They say they are 32.5 tall and i cant not tell any difference in the way things work. granted my spedo is slower by 3-4 mph but all in all no change. granted it might cause bearing problems later but that is just something you have to expect out of these cars. I mean in the long run that is probaby the only thing you will have to replce.

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
I think you may consider running your engine never more than 2500 rpm to save wear on engine components and increase the time between oil change as the same principal, how would you measure it?

·
Registered
1988 300 GD STT LWB
585 Posts
Someone once told me it is ok to run a tall tire when concidering bearing wear. Premature wear is more likely if you run extra wide rims and with the wrong offset.

I would not worry too much as long as you dont put on something extremely wide...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts