Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 420 SEL
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Local tire deal LesSchwab says siping creates longer tire life (25%) and better traction - opinions?

·
BenzWorld Tire & Wheel God
1,386 Posts
I can not understand why people think that slicing a tires tread elements up can improve...

I can not understand why people think that slicing a tires tread elements up can improve the performance or life of a tire. I also have never met some hig school kid that can design a tire better than dozens of engineers with millions of dollars worth of computers and even more $$$$ in research and developement.

aftermarket siping a tire creates 1 thing .....
more profit

·
Registered
88 420 SEL
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
siping cont'd

Luke,

Thanks. Email me your mailing address, I'd like to drop this regional (very well respected, too, I might add!) tire and wheel store's brochure. I'm a 37 year old professional, college degree, and the brochure made "sense" to me.

On another note: I spend $100 retail on my Toyo radials with a 100k mi. guarrantee...for that kind of money or a little more or less, do you recommend a better all-season traction/handling tire brand?

·
BenzWorld Tire & Wheel God
1,386 Posts
I've actually already seen it and the test dated that it quotes ..... and it just doesn't ...

I've actually already seen it and the test dated that it quotes ..... and it just doesn't wash .... it makes sense in theory at very, very low speeds (like the testing on luggage carrrying vehicles at Chicago's O'hare airport). The fact is when a tire flexes it creates heat. So, logically, slicing the tread elements, which makes the tread blocks smaller and more flexible, will make the tire run hotter

but, my address is:

The Tire Rack
7101 Vorden Parkway
South Bend, IN 46628
attn. Luke Pavlick

·
Registered
88 420 SEL
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks

'Appreciate your comments re: siping, THANKS.

'Just posted a new one re: wheel shimmy/shake at higher speeds (>60) after several wheel balancing efforts by local reputable shop...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts