Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning, the tire sensor monitor gave me a big RED warning that there was a "fatal tire problem RL." I couldn't see anything like a flat tire or low tire on any corner, so I restarted (same warning), and drove to an air fill station. When I checked the tires with a gauge, there was not a low tire, and they read the same side-to-side front and back. I added air to the one that was said to be low, then bled the air back to the original reading. When I restarted, I now have a yellow low tire warning, and I have to reset the TSM on restart. It shows 1 malfunction. The TSM shows 31L 35R front and 34L 38R rear warm--even though the gauge shows the same side-to-side. Before I take it to the dealer as a warranty issue, somebody assure me I don't have to press the 'reset' button three times, click my heels, turn the radio to 96.1 FM and that will fix it. I hate taking something to the dealer and have him flip a switch and send me away with a sneer. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Check the pneumatic adjust nozzle below the serpentine belt, usually from a minor collusion. Make sure its under warranty or the dealership will bend you over.

·
Registered
My Benz: 04 S430
1,219 Posts
Check the pneumatic adjust nozzle below the serpentine belt, usually from a minor collusion. Make sure its under warranty or the dealership will bend you over.
Sir What in God's name are you talking about??

DrJfrmLa,

This is classic sensor failure.... My advice would be to replace them all because they will all go soon. The Dealer charges 600 for the set for your car plus labor. Ad all they are going to do is install the same prone to failure sensors.

You can get them at Tire rack for 350 a set.,I have been running these on my car since last September with 0 issues. and also Discount tire sells them as of last August.

BTW. I don't think the TPMS sensors are covered under Extended warranty. It seems this has been discussed before on here or the other forum.. Let us know the real scoop when you find out.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My0430k:

Thanks for the help. I'll let the dealer sort it out since it's a warranty issue. They replaced some sort of switch in the system a few months ago. Since this seems to be an ongoing problem with a part that isn't up to snuff, I'll make sure the dealer notes in my repair record that this problem is chronic and will extend beyond the regular factory warranty. I have had good luck having these kinds of problems corrected repeatedly well beyond warranty expiration by insisting they note the issue as chronic in the vehicle record. I'll follow up with a letter (snail mail works well for things like this) to MBUSA and the dealer. I appreciate your sharing your experience.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay--here's the dealer story. I had three metal air stem caps on my car. The metal air stem caps threw off the TPSM sensors. They replaced the metal sensors and reset the system. All seems to work well except they are still reading whacky. Of course, I have had three metal air stem caps on the car since the day I bought it, and it took four months for it to screw up the sensors? It will break again. When it does, I'll be less civilized than I was today. I think the service writer knew I wasn't buying his story, but that wasn't the time or the place to call him a liar. Anyway, I got to drive an '01 S55 AMG while I was killing time. What a rocket.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Sky.
I'll do the cold reset tomorrow and see if that gets the readings back to normal. I realize a gauge isn't necessarily accurate, but when the gauge reads the same side-to-side and the TPMS is reading a six pound difference, I have to throw the flag on the TPMS.
It's not a great big deal (until it sets off the error panel) but it's aggravating.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts