Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 C32 AMG
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago I bought new tires, and have had a problem with them scaling. The tread closest to the sidewall is pulling out away from the tire. I had the first set replaced for free due to the problem, but now the second set is showing signs of scaling. The manager I dealt with, who is experienced with tires, said this happens from a manufacturing defect during production of the tires.

Is it possible a problem with the suspension could be causing this, or is it more likely that I was unlucky enough to get another set of bad tires? The second set of tires was installed right after a four wheel alignment at the dealership, so I know it wasn't caused by the bad alignment the vehicle previous had with the first set on.

Tires are American Eagle H2 inflated at the recommended 28/32 PSI on the OEM wheels.

·
Registered
2005 C230K Sport Coupe 6-speed! And now a 2011 GLK 350 4Matic in Palladium Silver!
1,122 Posts
If you haven't noticed, when you turn the wheels to either side, the wheels lean into the turn for better grip. There is a chance that these tires may not be suitable for our specific application. Of course, there is still the chance that you received another bad set.

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes-Benz S500. Sold: 2000 C230K, Sold: 1997 Porsche 944S
1,271 Posts
A few months ago I bought new tires, and have had a problem with them scaling. The tread closest to the sidewall is pulling out away from the tire. I had the first set replaced for free due to the problem, but now the second set is showing signs of scaling. The manager I dealt with, who is experienced with tires, said this happens from a manufacturing defect during production of the tires.

Is it possible a problem with the suspension could be causing this, or is it more likely that I was unlucky enough to get another set of bad tires? The second set of tires was installed right after a four wheel alignment at the dealership, so I know it wasn't caused by the bad alignment the vehicle previous had with the first set on.

Tires are American Eagle H2 inflated at the recommended 28/32 PSI on the OEM wheels.
It would be preferred for you to get a 4 way alignment AFTER you Balance and Install the New Tires. Not beforehand.
The mechanics will bang, bang, bang the tires to remove them, push this around. poke this and pull that and cause further misalignment.

Once they do their Gorilla-work on the tires and rebalancing get an alignment.
I have the exact same tires on my MB and now reported problems.

I bump up my PSI +5 in the front and rear because I like it like that.
Front: 33PSI Rear: 37PSI

·
Registered
2002 C32 AMG
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Whosdis, I do realize that the tires tilt a lot during heavy turning, but that shouldn't cause the tread to pull outwards as these two sets have done. However, it could definitely be possible. I might call the company, and inquire to this specific problem. The driver side tire was showing signs of scaling very bad compared to the other three. This leads me to believe it isn't from the angle of the tires while turning.

MBZ of Florida, I take the vehicle to a Wal-mart TLE where there are associates working that I have known for several years, and trust to work carefully on my vehicle. I also hang around, and watch everything they do while working. You have the same tire model, and have not had any signs of problems, correct? How many miles have you put on the tires, and which model Mercedes-benz are they on?

I have gone over 100+ MPH a decent amount of times without the recommended +4 PSI, and that could be the cause. I think from now on I will just drive with +4 PSI.

·
Registered
2003 C320 Coupe\71 220 gas, 4-speed\95 Talon TSi AWD\97 J30\79 GS1000S\80 SR500\'69 Datsun 2000
83 Posts
So what you're calling "scaling" is what tire people call "feathering"? Have your toe adjustment checked- the amount the inner rim of the wheels are closer to each other at the front than at the rear.
Unless you're really murdering some ramp speeds, feathering is usually a toe issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts