Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my C230 K. into to the dealership to have my tires rotated because it is one of the free services they offer if your car is under 5000 miles. I learned that they cannot rotate my tires becuase they are different sizes. uh... I never had a car with different tire sizes so I am not sure what to do. is it safe to drive around without rotating my tires?

Thanks

·
Registered
SLK350,C230Komp
305 Posts
This is very common for high performance cars to have rear tires wider than the front.
It is perfectly safe, all MB AMGs, SLK, SL, CL and CLK are the same tires format.
My C230 K is the same as yours, the front use P225 and the rear is P245.
just swap the front tires from left to right.

·
Registered
00 C-230, 04 C-240
468 Posts
DON'T SWAP RADIAL TIRES FROM ONE SIDE TO THE OTHER. With radial tires, running them in another direction might result in the steel belts separating. Also, your tires might be unidirectional (only run in one direction). Radials should only be rotated front & back. But in your case, with the wheels being staggered, don't rotate anything. Keep an eye on your tires & if you see uneven wear, have your car's suspension aligned. Rotation only helps if tires wear unevenly, as a result of bad suspension geometry.

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
This used to be true, but is not true with current radial. As long as the tire is not directional, they can be swapped from side to side. If they are directional, they need to be dismounted and flipped on the wheels before swapping side to side. Of course, you could do that with any radial and they will be tuning in the same direction as before. What was the outside shoulder on the left side will be the inside shoulder on the right side. If both tires are showing wear on the outside, this would be the best thing to do.

·
Registered
00 C-230, 04 C-240
468 Posts
Yes & no. Some unidirectional tire have labels that must face to the outside. Also, I would not want to frequently mount/dismount rubber -- especially on expensive wheels. There is always some damage to the wheel, no matter how careful the tech is.

No rotation is required if proper suspension geometry is maintained. Anyway, with todays high performance rubber only lasting 15 - 20K, you would be rotating every three months to get any benefits, if your suspension was out of alignment.

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
Some tires with labels which are supposed to be mounted to the outside can be flipped such as the Falken Azenis RT-215. Falken even recommends doing so. I would definitely check with the tire manufacturer before doing so.

·
Registered
2005 C230WZ
270 Posts
You guys are both correct! But I would listen to Lynn cause he has tons of experience with MB!! And a wealth of knoledge!!

·
Registered
00 C-230, 04 C-240
468 Posts
Hey, buddy, F1 experience here, going back to Senna & Prost days. All other sports are just "games".

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
Andrzejek - 4/26/2005 8:45 PM

Hey, buddy, F1 experience here, going back to Senna & Prost days. All other sports are just "games".
Senna & Prost? You are a mere noob.[:)]

·
Registered
00 C-230, 04 C-240
468 Posts
Senna, without question, was one of the best race drivers -- ever. And what's your sport, dirt-tracks?

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
Started going to all kinds of races as a real little kid. I was told I saw Marshall Teaque (early NASCAR star) but I don't remember that. I do remember seeing Bobby and Al Unser way before they got Indy car rides. I also saw Carroll Shelby and some of the other road racers of the day. While in high school, I got to see Hap Sharp race on of the Chapparals in an SCCA National.

During the 70's, I held a National SCCA F&C licence and got to see Rick Mears in a FV just after he signed with Penske. I also worked races where Al Unser Junior and Michael Andretti were racing FF. Not the same races though. I remember the Lazier brothers as little boys in their father's pit area. I got to see a bunch of great amateur and pro racers.

Also during this period, I was co-owner of a series of stock cars with my friends. We competed mostly in Southern Colorado, but did go to the big Open Comp in Vegas one year. That was Mark Martin's first asphalt race. He was 16.

I was also autocrossing my Opel Manta back in the seventies. Have a fair number of first place trophies in the closet.

Because of extensive travel on my job, I didn't get to do much more than read and sometimes watch races during the eighties and 90's but have been to every Copper World since 91 until this year. Have been to all the USGP's at Indy. I do manage to catch some local action occasionally. And yes I do like midgets, sprints and Silver crown on dirt and asphalt. You can keep the dirt late models though.

Started seriously autocrossing again last year, but I'm not fast any more. More like half fast. ;) But I took second in class last week. I am getting better, I hope. I will go to Nationals this year. Some one has to be last and it might as well be me. Hopefully, I will have a more competitive car next year.

Yes, Senna was one of the all time greats. But I am more partial to Gilles. We got to see a lot more of Senna. One of the hightlights of my racing life is getting to see the one and only Fangio drive the fabulous Mercedes W196 at the Monterey Historics in 1981.

·
Registered
00 C-230, 04 C-240
468 Posts
Good racing buddy. Most of my racing fun was in Europe. I learned what it takes to be GREAT in racing, not jus good, by watching Senna, Prost, & Lauda. I will never forget a race in Japan where, during a rain storm, Senna held off the entire field until the race was called. What's amazing about this feat is that Senna was the only one out on slicks -- the rest of the field was running rain tires. No one could pass him. Did you know that as a boy, Aerton Senna would practice in a go-cart with plastic bags over the tires to learn how to drive in the rain?

One of my greatest moments was being able to sit inside Senna's previous season's car. The car was on display at the New York Auto Show. Not too many people were interested in it -- little did they know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts