Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Tire question

794 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Mike Wevrick 
#1 ·
Hi. I'm not sure if it's region specific, when my 2002 C240 came with Continential ContriTouringContact tires.. I blew one of the rear tires a year ago and got the rear replaced with Michelin MXV+.. Just recently, one of the fronts got flat and was driving on flat for a bit.. I called roadside to change the tire to the spare and found that the lug nuts for the spare were missing.. So they took the tires off the spare and put them on the wheel.. So on the front, I basically have a new ContiTouringContact on the right and an old one on the left..

They gave the option to just purchase another Continential and swap out the worned one and use that as the spare.. But I was wondering if I should ditch Continential altogether and get a new pair of Michelin or something else for the front.. I recently did a search for ContiTouringContact and the user reviews didn't seem too favourable..
Thanks

#2 ·
Hi, Jason. I'm sort of laughing, I had MXV+4s on my car about 8 months and hated them, too hard, too noisy, etc., but the Contis have been wonderful. Apparently there's decent variation between models, eh?

I don't know if you're aware, but there is a tire tech forum here, scroll down and you'll see it. Luke has a good thread about "which is the best tire" with some good things to consider. And you might check with your fellow W203 brethren by posting an inquiry in the 203 forum for their feedback on tire recs.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

#3 ·
While I don't have a late model MB, I've had good luck and a nice smooth ride out of the current set of Michelin Harmony tires I have mounted.

They are listed as a touring tire, but somewhat hard to find with the tire shops in my area.
On the tires review sites that I found them on, they also rated well up the list in various road conditions, as well as good snow traction, for an All Season tire, at least.

#4 ·
I have the same Continentals that you do (came on the car). It doesn't seem like the tread life is the best out there, but I think they are good tires overall. On the other hand, Michelins are generally fine tires too, maybe you should try another type if you like the brand? Ditto to your looking at the Tire Rack's sub-forum.

#5 ·
The Continental ContiContact tires have a more highly rated replacement: ContiPro Contacts. I've had a pair on my car for 10k & have been pleased with them. The tire is both popular & well priced as I have seen them on new cars ranging from the Sentra to the E-Class.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.