Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
ML55AMG
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my Dunlop SP9000 had a 4 inch nail in it, so I had to replace it. The tires have about 10,000 miles on them. The problem I have is the new tire in the rear, the tread is higher, not much higher, but enough to cause my steering wheel to favor the newer tire side. It doesnt pull to that side, but the steering wheel doesnt sit center.

Do I have to replace the other one to balance the height difference and straighten my steering wheel? Will it even out sooner of later? Im really hoping I dont have to replace the other, cause thats another $360.

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,117 Posts
AMG NUZI - 4/20/2005 5:47 AM

One of my Dunlop SP9000 had a 4 inch nail in it, so I had to replace it. The tires have about 10,000 miles on them. The problem I have is the new tire in the rear, the tread is higher, not much higher, but enough to cause my steering wheel to favor the newer tire side. It doesnt pull to that side, but the steering wheel doesnt sit center.

Do I have to replace the other one to balance the height difference and straighten my steering wheel? Will it even out sooner of later? Im really hoping I dont have to replace the other, cause thats another $360.
It surprises me it's that noticeable with it in the rear. What is the tread depth on the worn tire? I would guess it's about 1/3 worn (7/32 left)?

Replacing the other may be your best option if it bothers you. Tire rack has the 285/50-18s for $274, so with $20 for shipping and $20 four mount/balance it would be about $315.

·
Registered
Black 2005 ML 500
1,662 Posts
I am surprised that you will even notice the difference when the tire is located at the rear.

Personally, I will just add a little more pressure to the opposite tire (or take some from the other) so that the height of the tire will be similar.

The tire with lower pressure should worn faster (greater contact patch) than the other tire, and hopefully some day, the difference will fell neglible.

Just an idea..

AC

1 - 5 of 5 Posts