Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'86 190E 2.3L
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone else had trouble removing the rims on their car? I thought that once you removed the lug nuts then they just pop off, almost.

·
BenzWorld W126 & W201 Host
1988 420SE, 2002 C180 Kompressor, 200 ML320
1,159 Posts
Sometimes if they have been on a while, they corrode to the centre of the brake disc.

With the car on stands, get underneath and tap the rim on the outside with a hammer as you rotate it and it should come off.

If you've got alloys, use a plastic mallet to protect the rim.

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,804 Posts
No lug nuts on a Mercedes . . . lug bolts. [:)]

The wheel hub is so small that pretty much a light tap will free up the back side of the wheel face from the mounting hub.

·
Registered
'93 300E 2.8
248 Posts
Sounds like those wheels have been on the car quite a while and they're now seized to the rotors. Get yourself a deadblow hammer and tap the wheel as suggested above. When you finally get the wheels off, buy some anti-seize compound and apply it to the inside of your rims where they come in contact with the rotors.

·
Registered
Series 201 190E 1.8
18 Posts
Glad to see you are about to do some routine maintence, If the wheels have been on that long and hard to remove I shudder at the thought of the rotor thickness and the disc brake thickness and that brake dust.

·
Registered
00 W202, 04 955 S, 08 e90
1,704 Posts
Go underneath and give it a good kick.

·
Registered
'86 190E 2.3L
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not just routine maintence, I am fixing all the problems w/ it. Bought it in november, got my license in december and have gone thorugh a couple hundred dollars fixing it. Such as the rear antenna, sunroof, cd player,interior such as the seats and the carpeting, alternator(still in progress, hopefully done today) and much more...any hints with replacing an alternator?

·
Registered
'86 190E 2.3L
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea! alternator done after 8 hrs of work and two diffrent alternators ( 1 didnt fit)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts