Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 350
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My gas cover says 36 psi front 39 psi rear for the 225 front and 245 rear.

What has every body been doing?

·
Registered
SLK350
108 Posts
my door sticker says 32 front and 35 rear. I am running 35 both front and back with 225/40/18 and 255/35/18 respectively.

·
Registered
SLK350
34 Posts
I was confused by this when I collected my car last October. After a (useless) bunch of telephone conversations with MB Tech Centre my dealer intervened. I have an e-mail from him that says 36 front and 39 rear for the tyres on my AMG 18 inch wheels. The other numbers, 32 front and 35 rear, apply to 17 inch wheels.

·
Registered
'14 CLS63 AMG S, '10 GLK350, '03 SL5000
289 Posts
IMHO -- 39 in the Rear is way too high.

Mardler - 4/10/2005 1:03 AM
36 front and 39 rear for the tyres on my AMG 18 inch wheels. The other numbers, 32 front and 35 rear, apply to 17 inch wheels.
As I've suggested in some of my previous posts, I believe that the tire pressures on the door sill (and the gas filler flap, for that matter) are those determined primarily by the MB legal staff rather than their engineers and test drivers. The low front pressure is designed to induce understeer (plowing, "tight" vs, "loose") and not necessarily to minimize tire wear or provide neutral handling.

Think about the weight distribution of the SLK -- the front carries more weight and the front tires must do a lot of work to turn the car. I'd run at least 34 psi in the front.

No matter 17 or 18 inch, if you run 35 or higher in the rear, I'd keep a close eye on tire wear in the center of the tread 'cause I'd bet that this is too high for as light as the rear of the car is. Also, if you do a lot of high-speed driving on the Autobahn or Interstate, expect more wear in the center of the tire as the centripetal force expands the tire in the center of the tread.

I run 34 psi (cold) all up front and another 2 psi up front for aggressive driving with a lot of turns such as on a road course racetrack or autocross. Seems to me that 32-34 would be best in the rear.

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350
117 Posts
Could also be the higher pressures in the rear are for when the roof is in the trunk adding weight from the center of the car to the rear.

·
Registered
2005 slk350
54 Posts
did u find there are two row of the infor on gas door?top one is for size17",the other one is for 18"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts