Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2012 C350, 2009 CLK 550 Cab
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 2009 CPO clk550 Cab with 11K miles yesterday.

Car is sweet.

The service records for the car show that the tires were filled with nitrogen. Never having dealt with N2 I have some questions.

The tire monitors say, correct pressure, when I checked with a gauge it showed 30 PSI front, 32 rear. The recommended pressure on the door sticker say 38 front 42 rear. Are my tires really that low or does the nitrogen change the pressure recommendations or how my standard tire gauge reads? And, if they are really are that low, can I pump regular air or do I need to refill with N2?

Thanks for any help and advice.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
I have no experience of using Nitrogen in tires, and there is no reference to it either in my Owners manual (2004) or in my WIS (2005).

If you Google the topic, you can see that it is used exclusively in aircraft and racing cars. But the use of this gas in normal cars sounds a little excessive and unneccessary. Apart from which, it would be hard to prove what gas is actually in there. :)

I would ignore that, and simply use normal air in the future......:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2007 CLK 550 (209)
12 Posts
Nitrogen

Here in Hawaii nitrogen is all you can get if you ever buy tires at Costco. The theory is that the molecules are larger than regular air and therefore do not leak out as quickly. I find that funny because regular air is made up of almost 80% nitrogen.

That being said....there is some good threads on tire pressure....just have to search for them.

My 2007 CLK sticker calls for 36 front and 39 rear. Seems excessive in the rear to me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts