Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2011 ML350
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The TPMS system on my 2011 ML350 has worked great. I had a wheel transmitter go bad and I changed all 4 because they were about 7 years old. Those worked for awhile then 1 went bad and one rear tire quit transmitting. So, I recently changed the 1 bad valve stem transmitter when I got new tires on the back. Since then the entire system has gone down. I was getting 3 tires with 1 inop. Now, after changing the bad one out - the entire system quit. When I changed them all a couple years ago, the system picked up the new sensors automatically no problem.

Any idea why 1 new one would shut the system down?

In addition, I've changed out the Command Unit with an AVINUSA 9" display so some of the steering wheel controls may not work the same as with the Command Unit. When I put the key in the second position, bring up the TPMS on the dash, reset - noting changes to the message that the system is inoperative. When I press the + button the volume on the head unit goes up, but nothing changes in the dash readout.

Can a shop read the transmitters and/or reset the system without the OEM Command Unit?

·
Registered
2009 ML350 164.186 / 272.967 / 722.9
49 Posts
Just live with the symbol and check pressures manually periodically...what could we possibly have done for 100 years with no TPMs??

·
Registered
2011 ML350
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just live with the symbol and check pressures manually periodically...what could we possibly have done for 100 years with no TPMs??
Well, I could do that. And if the gas gauge fails I could use a dipstick to determine how much gas I have left. Or I can post on this forum so that those who have an actual solution can offer their expertise. I think if a car has a system it should run properly, if possible. There is usually a simple solution. The part that is sometimes not so simple is finding the solution. Ignoring the problem is not what I would prefer to do, but thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm sorry if I sounded abrupt. You can dig around my other posts to confirm that I've posted lots of useful suggestions to keep these lovelies humming along. I guess I'm just frustrated with $70 for a failed TPM (that have non-replaceable batteries!?!?!) and consider the whole technology a weak trade-off of new features vs. just more stuff to fail. My wife's Lexus has a switch to distinguish the snow tire/rim set from the summer set. Tire shops can check the actual output from each sending unit separately...and then, of course, sell you new TPMs, with a smile.

·
Registered
2011 ML350
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. Yeah, some of the new technology added to cars these days is a little good news bad news. It was simpler when you had to actually check all the levels yourself. Ah well, it's the days we live in.

·
Registered
2011 ML350
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thank you for the link. In my mind, the important point of my post is - the system was working fine before replacing the one sensor that was not working with the same type sensor in the working wheels. After replacing the malfunctioning sensor, the entire system went belly up. Why? Why aren't at least the 3 previously functioning units still functioning?

That's the Company where I ordered the sensors. They supplied the faulty sensor too, under warranty.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Here is an interesting thread on the Avin system installed in a GL:

·
Registered
2011 ML350
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I just posted some information for those folks to help them out with the connectivity and the mounting brackets or lack there of.

·
W163 Crash Test Driver
2008 ML350 (Me!), 2010 GLK350 (Wife), 2003 ML-350 (Deceased)
1,571 Posts
Why aren't at least the 3 previously functioning units still functioning?
I went through this same hell with the TPMS on my ML350 and, like you, I wanted it to work properly! I'm not a "just put black tape over the warning light" kinda guy. :D

On my 2008, if a sensor dies or is otherwise not married properly to the module, the whole system fails. I believe later models are more fault tolerant. You will need someone with a TPMS scanner that can read the transmitters, or a MB Star system to check the TPMS module itself. The system should pick up things like tire rotations and new sensors, but not always as I have learned!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts