Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking at replacing the rims and tires on my early 72 350 SL. I assume (?) that I could replace the 14s with a larger wheel and tire combo from any other 107 model but don't really understand the offset.

I checked on Tire Rack, 1972 Mercedes is not an option (any thoughts)?

205 / 70 /14 Doesn't seem to be a very popular tire.

From Tire Rack the 73 450 SL Rims are 15X7, 23mm offset and the 1988 560SL are 18.5 x 15, 32mm offset. Can some explain the offset?

Has any luck moving to 15s or 16s? Any reason not to change sizes? Will any other Mercedes model fit on my SL if the offset is the same? I really would not finding a set of later model Mercedes 17"s.

Thoughts / Recommendations / Pics?

Thanx,

Happy Thanksgiving - It is supposed to be 50 degrees tomorrow so I'm thinking about taking it out with the top down
Rich

·
Administratoris Emeritus
46,416 Posts
looking at replacing the rims and tires on my early 72 350 SL. I assume (?) that I could replace the 14s with a larger wheel and tire combo from any other 107 model but don't really understand the offset.
Yes, you can change to any 15" from any 107 or any number of other Mercedes from the 70's and 80's. If you do go into 16's or 17's offset becomes an issue.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I installed 16X8" wheels from a 107. Incredible improvement in handling and stability + I can put the originals back on if I want to go to a show.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
GS and Tony have you on the right track. Offset is just the difference between the imaginary (true) centerline of the wheel and the actual mounting plane. If the mounting plane is closer to the frame than the imaginary (true) centerline, that's negative offset. If the imaginary (true) centerline is closer to the car than is the mounting plane, that's positive offset.

If you think about it, offset can't be examined in a vacuum, because wheel width is also a factor.

In actual application, you can drive yourself nuts trying to theorize it, that's why there are lots of great resources, such as this one: Wheel Offset Calculator

Take care and enjoy the classic, vintage ride,
Greg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts