Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the ML 2006 have a tire pressure monitor?

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,117 Posts
jean7of9 - 5/4/2005 8:11 PM

Yes, and it is standard on all models.
To clarify, I believe it is the type that uses the ABS sensors to detect a difference in rotational speed over time; it does not read pressure directly.

·
Registered
2013 ML-63 AMG, 2010 C350 4matic
221 Posts
I have the same system on my BMW 330xi. While driving,It will warn you when pressure is 25% lower than normal. You must drive 1-2 miles before the system detects the difference in tires rotation.It is very efficient.

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Yes that's correct...

GregW / Oregon - 5/4/2005 8:41 PM

jean7of9 - 5/4/2005 8:11 PM

Yes, and it is standard on all models.
To clarify, I believe it is the type that uses the ABS sensors to detect a difference in rotational speed over time; it does not read pressure directly.
I believe it's required by US law for all SUVs next year; basically in response to the Ford Explorer incidents.

·
Registered
'12 Peugeot 3008 HYbrid4 (sorry!)
397 Posts
Hi,

Yes, that's correct - the standard system monitors via the ABS sensors.

The "real" tire pressure monitoring system is delayed over here - and is to be "enjoyed" with caution as the sensors are reported to be fragile and quite expensive to replace. And of course, if you run summer and winter tires, you have to get at nother set of sensors for the second set of wheels.

Also, a visual inspection of the tires - including checking pressure the old-fashioned way if your eye detect something wrong - once every week or two is never a bad thing to do.

Birger

·
Registered
2013 ML-63 AMG, 2010 C350 4matic
221 Posts
Hi Birger, I do not understand why you need separate sensors for summer and winter. There are no sensors just an evaluation of the tire rotation speed. I use separate winter/4 seasons Tires for my BMW 330xi. All what is required is to activate the system after replacing the tires by pressing the Tire Pressure Monitor Button for 5 seconds. The computer takes note and evaluates each Tire Rotation Speed during your next drive. As far as concerning "Pressure Sensors", they are used by the Big Three, not on German Designed Cars.

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,117 Posts
jean7of9 - 5/5/2005 8:59 PM

Hi Birger, I do not understand why you need separate sensors for summer and winter. There are no sensors just an evaluation of the tire rotation speed. I use separate winter/4 seasons Tires for my BMW 330xi. All what is required is to activate the system after replacing the tires by pressing the Tire Pressure Monitor Button for 5 seconds. The computer takes note and evaluates each Tire Rotation Speed during your next drive. As far as concerning "Pressure Sensors", they are used by the Big Three, not on German Designed Cars.
Answering for Birger, whose probably asleep right now, he was talking about the "real" monitors, meaning there is a sensor attached to the wheel inside the tire which reads pressure directly and transmits it to the system. So, each wheel needs it's own sensor. If you have separate wheels for summer and winter, all would need sensors. The advantage, obviously, is you get an actual pressure reading that is much more precise than the ABS system which may not register a probelm until you've lost 8 or so lb.

·
Registered
'12 Peugeot 3008 HYbrid4 (sorry!)
397 Posts
GregW / Oregon - 5/6/2005 6:02 AM

jean7of9 - 5/5/2005 8:59 PM

Answering for Birger, whose probably asleep right now, he was talking about the "real" monitors, meaning there is a sensor attached to the wheel inside the tire which reads pressure directly and transmits it to the system. So, each wheel needs it's own sensor. If you have separate wheels for summer and winter, all would need sensors. The advantage, obviously, is you get an actual pressure reading that is much more precise than the ABS system which may not register a probelm until you've lost 8 or so lb.
Thanks, Greg - yes, that was exactly what I meant. I did not think of the possibility of having summer and winter tires on the same set of wheels, as this would require far too much work, at least for me. And if you have separate summer/winter wheels, you should add IIRC some 200 EUR for four additional sensors.

Birger (who's now awake)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts