Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have pilot sports 245 40 18 on the front and 285 35 18 on the back. I like the look and feel of the bit bigger/wider tires on the back.

What are some of you guys running for brand and sizes on the stock AMG wheels to give your 55 a bit more attitude?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am running the Pilot Sports as well. But I am just running the stock tire size. I just put new tires on a few weeks back, and really like the Michelin's over the Dunlop's I had on there before.

Kevin

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 285's on the rear in my opinion do look good but they like any thing different then stock have issues. 1. the speedo will read just a bit slow due to the bigger tire. 2. the car will have a titch of a rake since the 285's are a bit taller. 3. The 285's stick out just a bit on the bottom and throw road dirt all over the rear quarters.
Other then that not much different.

·
Registered
W210 E55,E320,C240
160 Posts
What about if you have 19 in wheels?

Will 285/35/19 work on the rear with the same exceptions stated above? I am seriosuly consdering doing this in the very near future....

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
with only 500 E55's a year made I don't get why anyone would change to an aftermarket wheel... but to each his own.
If you go from a 275 35 18 to a 285 35 19 the overall diameter of the tire will increase by 1.27" and your speedo with be about five miles an hour off. Will an inch and a quarter more fit in the wheelwell?
I don't know.

·
Registered
2006 E55, 2005 SLK55, a few others
986 Posts
If you want 19's, there are a couple tire choices in 285/30-19 that would give almost exactly the same overall diameter as the stock tires. In fact, the difference is only 0.6%, or only 1 MPH off at 170 MPH!

·
Registered
W210 E55,E320,C240
160 Posts
I think 18's are to small - prefer 19's. Look much better in my opinion than the stock wheels. Also, I had the stock E55 wheels on my E320 prior to having the E55. So I was getting tired of that look and wanted an open-wheel design. After I got the wheels, I installed a big brake kit and the wheels/brakes look amazing now! The way the car should have been from stock form - with painted callipers and cross-drilled rotors with a nice open wheel design to show case the huge brakes. IMHO

I think I am going to get the 285/30 19's. Any1 want a set of used dunlop sport SP900's in 275/35/19 at a discount??

·
Registered
88 Posts
I changed out my Pilot sport after it was a little worn and noisy (uneven shoulder wear before I got it aligned). I use stock size of 245/45/18 and 275/35/18 with Goodyear F1 GSD3. The Goodyear is an excellent rain tires and ride softer and quieter than the Pilot sport. They are wearing out after 18000 miles and I probably only have 2k-3k miles left. I am looking for buying this again or try out the Pilot sport PS2. The handling of the Goodyear is very sharp and accurate but you need to keep the tire pressure high at 42psi to keep it wear evenly.

I think 19" open rim looks more interesting than the block wheel but I agree that it will lose the exclusive look of amg. In any case, the 18" wheel is harsh enough on a daily commute already and I am not looking forward for a rougher ride.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am running the Pilot Sport and like it thus far. I was shopping for a 19" wheel maybe in a black finish, when I first got the car. Since then, I have decided that the stock look is really special, so why ruin it. So, all I did was tint the windows, and have my wheels swapped for the same thing just triple chrome plated. I think that it really looks great, but since it has been snowing around here, the car has only been out once with the new "shoes."

Kevin

·
Registered
88 Posts
An alternate look for the chrome wheel is the polished aluminum look which is done by one of the shop locally. It is not as shiny as the chrome but more lively than the silver painted wheel. Kind of a Satin look instead of gloss effect.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looking for stock rims

Does anyone have a stock set of E55 AMG rims for a 2000 that they are looking to sell?

I just bought a 2000 E55 in black but it has 17" rims with snow tires on it. I like the look of the stock rims and want to make sure I get the right size. Am I correct in looking for 18" x 8.5" for the front and 18" x 9" for the back?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
18x8 and 18x9 is stock, I want another set as well because I want to paint them the same color as my car and see how that looks but I want to keep my originals in case I don't like the monoblock look.
I do know where a set of nice used stock wheels and newer tires are and since I don't need tires I will give you the contact info and I'll find some wheels later.
Go to e-bay and put in 2000 e55 then click the one with the custom rims "soloco" is the seller, he wants to sell his stock rims with newer tires.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts