Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 16,000 miles on my SLK and it is getting close to tire replacement time. Mixed blessing -- I will be very happy to get rid of the crappy conti 2's but really hate to shell out $800-$900 right now on Tires. But tires seem to be one of those items where you get what you pay for and I am leaning towards PS2's.

Now that I have made a short post long here is the question. What tires is/has everyone run and what kind of mileage did you get out of them.

Please note this is not a bitch about tire life I am just curious what everyone is getting.

·
Registered
'01 SLK230,'93 190E 2.3, 1971 LS5 Corvette Convertible
2,225 Posts
430 - 3/4/2005 8:18 AM

I have 16,000 miles on my SLK and it is getting close to tire replacement time. Mixed blessing -- I will be very happy to get rid of the crappy conti 2's but really hate to shell out $800-$900 right now on Tires. But tires seem to be one of those items where you get what you pay for and I am leaning towards PS2's.

Now that I have made a short post long here is the question. What tires is/has everyone run and what kind of mileage did you get out of them.

Please note this is not a bitch about tire life I am just curious what everyone is getting.
I'm probably the last (wrong) member of this forum that should be replying to you, but if you want to stay with V or Z rated tires I doubt if you'll get decent mileage out of them. I went through 2 sets of V rated Dunlop's (12,000 miles each and bitched) before switching to Goodyear Eagle GT's that are H rated. I was told that the "H" rated tire will not have the same response and handling that the "V" or "Z" rated tires have. But, in my situation, most of my driving is in 45 and 55 mph zones and lot's of stop and go traffic in the New Tampa area. Yes, I'll admit, if you're driving on the track at Daytona you won't want my tires.
For me, I now have what I want...long lasting, smooth riding AND quiet, dependable tires with a 50,000 mile warranty, road hazard insurance, and free lifetime balancing for a low cost of $421.36 out the door at Sears.
It's been exactly one year ago today, and I now have 8,000 miles on these tires and don't see any wear. Most of the SLK forum members will probably cringe after reading my post, but hey...it's just a set of tires!

Just an old retired fart pokin' along in Tampa,

Dave

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am one of those that cringed at reading your post. 50k miles on tires for a performance car? Hell you might as well just pull a set of wheels of a train they are probably about the same hardness of your tires [;)]

Thanks for the response.

I am not bitching about the tire life. One of the reasons I do not like the Conti's is they are too hard. Tread life is at the bottom of my list of requirements.

·
Registered
98 SLK230k/02 SLK32
742 Posts
I am on my third set of tires, each set has had normal driving rural roads, and 2 days of track ...

time, having said that. Original Dunlop SP2000, about 23000 miles, Michelin Pilot Sports, about 22,000 miles. Each of the 'track days' was at the beginning of the life cycle of each set of tires. Currently running Khumo Ecsta Supra's, so far a real good tire for the money, about 10,000 miles on them, they look good, and held good on the track for 2 days, as well as a day of 'beginner' autocross.

This car is used as a daily driver to/form work, on dry days, and no salt on road. I drive it 'hard' on the back, windy, bumpy, rural roads that I use on my commute to/from work.

·
Registered
98 SLK 230
165 Posts
I'm also about to get some new tires (my 4th set).

Original set: 18K
Dunlops: 20K
Current Dunlops: 15K

I'm pretty dissapointed at the current set, they were supposed to last 60K!

Most folks it seems only between 15-20K on the tires...(regardless of how long the tire is supposed to last).

From earlier posts related to tires, 2 good tires seem to the the Yokohama Avid and the GoodYear Eagle F1. I'll try one of those...no more Dunlops for me.....

Cheers,
Pat

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230 Silver
25 Posts
Can't complain about my Yokohamas at all but its time for new tires. I'll be comparing them with the Khumos but if I go back to the Yokohamas, at least I'll know what I'll be getting.

·
Registered
SLK in brilli silver
854 Posts
had dunlops (sp?) 9000, made it 25k
actually not bad tyres overall but were horrific in the rain after they were wearing out.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got a friend running the Dunlop SP9000. He is not too happy with them.

·
Registered
SLK in brilli silver
854 Posts
430 - 3/4/2005 1:36 PM

I've got a friend running the Dunlop SP9000. He is not too happy with them.
My experience is they were okay tires, a bit noisey but stuck to the road pretty well, until they got to about 1/4 of their life left. At that point they made a lot of noise, felt slippery, and in the rain pushed u all over the place. I put on BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW and have been pleased especially in the rain, drives like its dry pavement.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mike seeing that you are in San Fran you should have gotten the KD vs. the KDW. No reason to buy a tire that is designed to handle the snow and compromises wet & dry grip.

The Conti2's which were never a great tire have gotten noticeably worse in the rain.

My friends biggest complaint about the SP9000 are the noise. The have an ugly harmonic with his car.

·
Registered
SLK in brilli silver
854 Posts
kdw is what costco carries [;)] and for new rubber all the way around couldnt pass it up for 600 out the door and mounted. I really wanted the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 but the cheapest I could find them and mounted was 850. Aren't the kd's designed mostly for dry roads? Its awefuly wet out here :)

·
BenzWorld R170 SLK Host
2002 SLK32 AMG
2,652 Posts
On the SLK32, I got 16,200 miles on the original Michelin Pilot Sports. Replaced with the Pilot Sport PS2 but only have 1500 miles on them so far.

On my SLK230 Sport, I got about 13K on the original Continental SportContacts, but they were dangerous on wet roads after about 8K miles, not to mention the noise.

·
Registered
1999 SLK230
22 Posts
I got 13k out of the original dunlops. they were good until worn. Like some others said....very dangerous on wet roads then. I ended up getting the goodyear eagle f1's and I love them. I can't comment on wear cuz I've only had them for a few thousand miles but they look great and the car handles great on dry and wet roads[:)]

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mike, the KD's are a summer tire. This means that they are optimized (at least when compared to all seasons tires) for wet and dry traction. All season tires make compromises on both of these fronts to add support for snow. I understand about ordering from Costco.

The Conti's in the last month or so have gotten a little hairy in the wet. They aren't too bad but they are even worse than when they were new.

·
Registered
SLK230 Limited Editi
337 Posts
I have 123k on my 2000

Got about 40k on the original pilot sports

20K on bridgestone pole positions

about 50k on my first set of goodyear eagle f1-ds-g3

Now on my second set, and they continue to wear well, and handle great.

·
Registered
C220 CDI T A & A200 CDI A
263 Posts
The original Conti2s would have been ok in 25k miles, but they became suddenly unbelievably noisy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts