Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 ML500 and I currently have Continential Contacts 4x4 on my SUV measuring 275/55R17....I am in despareate need of need tires as my wife drives the truck and she is currently pregnant and with winter coming i want her to be safe as possible..

These are my options and don't know if these tires would fit on my car.

275/60/16 Ventus Hankook (M&S mud and snow)
atleast 65-70% tread life on tires
$325.00 for a 4 rims and tires.

275/ 60/ 17
YOKOHAMA GEOLANDER H/T-S TIRES
70% TREAD LEFT
$280.00 just tires

Please help I'm a newbie to all this.

·
Registered
1999 ML320 Elegance, BMW R1150RT, SAAB 9-3
282 Posts
re: and with winter coming i want her to be safe as possible

if so then buy new tires from a reputable source - dont mess around with second hand stuff...

if that is not an option and saving money is actually more important then option A above likely would be better -

where are you -what kind of winter conditions are you dealing with?

·
Registered
05 ML500 SE
1,482 Posts
Well I upgraded to yokohama geolandar A/T-S in the 265/65/17 size. They add a little meat and are so awesome at absorbing bumps. They are still H rated so sidewall flex is not an issue. They are not noisy and highway, rain, mud, and the light snow so far has all proved no match for them.. I paid $600 installed at a local tire shop. Anyway I picked them because I wanted a swiss army knife tire that was a jack of all trades. They have proved to be better on road than i thought. Rough and broken road is also way more comfortable and I feel like I have an SUV that can actually go light offroading now. Anyway I looked into this for months before making my choice so I thought I'd share. Also, for a really good highway all-season tire consider the grabber hts. Hang out on tirerack a bunch and be sure to look up specs on each tire you are considering to see what the details are. Pay attention to load limits, speed rating, and tire weight. Also remember you can go a little over the standard size with no ill effects.

I went through a few sets of used tires before getting this new set.. if you can swing it - new really is better.

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,135 Posts
If I had to put a loved one in snow and the were not on Nokians then I would go with
the Geolanders or the newer A/T-S tire.
The Hankooks are horrible in the snow.

I also agree that new tires are the way to go. I know money is tight, but you can not put
a price on safety.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts