Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
E240
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my tires are almost worn out and I'm looking at getting the following to replace them:

1. Continental PremiumContact 2
2. Michelin MXV8
3. Pirelli PZero Nero All Season

W/c would you recommend? Or would any suffice since they're that good? Hope to hear some suggestions/opinions soon. Thanks.

·
Registered
E500
708 Posts
Hey guys, my tires are almost worn out and I'm looking at getting the following to replace them:

1. Continental PremiumContact 2
2. Michelin MXV83. Pirelli PZero Nero All Season

W/c would you recommend? Or would any suffice since they're that good? Hope to hear some suggestions/opinions soon. Thanks.
I have tried many and you can spend what did to find out $2500 in 50,000 miles to find out that you really only have 1 choice.

Michelin

·
Registered
2000 Designo SLK-05 C230WK-05 E320CDi-2010 GLK 350
714 Posts
I have tried many and you can spend what did to find out $2500 in 50,000 miles to find out that you really only have 1 choice.

Michelin
Gee, thats been my experence too. I should add to that comment that I have never had a Conti wear out because they have always had some other major failure before that point. Most of them failed from belt/tread separation. On one vehicle after replacing two complete sets under warranty at the pro rata adjustment price, I opted to replace with Michelin at full retail. So far they have 75% tread left compaired to the Conti's at the same number of miles with 50% tread remaining but they still work as designed as opposed to the Conti's being totally unsafe at that point.
My kids VW has 40k miles on it and was making odd noises from the rear. When I looked at the rear Conti's they were worn evenly and had about 33% of the tread left. They also had a crack all the way around the edge of the tire where the sidewall begins deep enough to show the steel belt is starting to unravel. Since I check his tires along with all of the vehicles in the household every other month I know they were never run under inflated.

Checked on getting new Mischelins and found ALL TIRE PRICES are set to increase in price between 15 to 20% starting in June because tires are made from dead dinos and the price of dead dino's and any imported goods are rapidly rising due to the steep decline in the value of the once almighty dollar. If you need new tires you better get them now because it takes a lot of barrels of dead dino juice to make the synthetic rubber your tires are made of.

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2009 GL320 Bluetec
1,476 Posts
Stick with Michelin. As long as you keep them balanced and rotated properly they have in my experience always exceeded the warranty period by tens of thousands of miles. Last set of MXV4+ tires made it 95,000 miles before reaching the wear bar. The miles were nearly all highway but the tires exceeded every one of my expectations.

DB

·
Registered
E500
708 Posts
Hmm that's a very interesting point. What about Pireli though? Would you recommend that I try it out? Afterall it is the official tire supplier of Ferrari.

Pirelli's might be ok and I am sure the ones on the truck delievered to the Ferrari factory are great. However the ones in the back of the shop on the rack for anyone to buy may not be exactly the same tire that is used on Ferrari. On our E500 I have tried 4 brands of tires from Brigstone, Conti's, Cooper HP, and Michelin. Given how much $$ I threw away I will only buy Michelin. But if someone wants to spend their $$ on Pirelli and report on results,, I am ok waiting for results.

·
Registered
E240
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks heaps!!! I'll definitely try out the MXV8's now. I'm having my car serviced in a few days so I'll ask the dealership to check if the tires are worn out. Once I find out that they are, I'll switch to Michelins. My dad's E uses Michelins but I'm not sure as to what variant he's using but so far he's never had any complaints. Ok well thanks for the suggestions...if anyone else wants to add something, pls do coz it'll be my first change of tires in 4 years and I don't wanna spend close to AUD2,000 and get crap tires. Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts