Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 SL55 AMG P030 -2007 S65 AMG
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share this observation,

So I have (2) sets of identical wheels for my 07 SL55 the are factory 19" standard originals for my car.

Set #1 has Hankook 285/30/ZR19 98Y on the rear worn down to 7/32 (6mm) when I must have hit a pot hole on the DS that caused a small leak just on the edge of the inside wall. I had totake them off and found some steel belt sticking out through a small crack.

Today i put the car on the lift to exchange the 2 rears for set #2 that have Bridgestones 285/30/ZR19 98Y on them also worn down to 7/32 (6mm).

Putting them side by side (see attached) you can see that the one on the left (Hankook) is evenly worn across the footprint of the tire versus the one on the right (Bridgestone) is worn a lot more on the inside.

Same car, same wheels so the conclusion = ....?

Well I'm open to hear comments from others

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,447 Posts
The Bridgestone tires are more square, with a wider contact patch. The Hankooks have more tapered edges, with a smaller contact patch. This will change the wear pattern on the edges.

I know a lot of people like Hankook tires, but that tapered edge is typical of cheap tires. It allows them sell the tires as having a greater width, but the actual tread surface is smaller. That means less rubber and in the tire itself and less tread surface (which is the most expensive part of the tire). On the positive side, tires with tapered edges tend to be quieter and have a smoother ride, but handling is not as crisp.

·
Registered
2003 SL55; 2008 S550
460 Posts
Interesting analysis. I have my own input on Hankook V12 tires...and has nothing to do with wear.

We put these on the rear of a Jag XK8 and it felt like the tires had about 10 pounds of air, and were constantly oversteering. Could not keep it straight when going down the freeway, even with 40 PSI of air! Had to switch to different brand tires to get the steady feel back. Definitely not 'crisp'.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,447 Posts
I've never been a fan of Hankook. My favorite is Michelin, but there are exceptions. My wife leased a 2017 Cadillac XT5. It came with Michelins and they performed well, but only lasted about 28K miles. The lease ends in November (thank goodness!) so I just replaced them the cheapest thing I could find - "Performer" tires from NTB. Like those Hankooks above,they have a tapered shoulder and though they are the same size, the actual contact tread width is probably 2/3 of the Michelins. Ironically, on this car, I prefer the softer ride of the cheap tires. The Michelins always felt a bit too firm for what one would expect from a Cadillac. Oh, and yes, we do not like this car. She only chose it because her brother was the manager of the local Cadillac dealership and made us an offer we could not refuse. Her prior two leases were nearly identical Jeep Grand Cherokees which we loved. She was just ready for "something different". Don't get me wrong, the XT5 is not horrible, it just has a lot of annoying qualities. It's also pretty much just a Chevrolet with a Cadillac badge. Once the lease is up, she wants to look at a used ML/GLE. She actually likes the old GLK, but I think we'd prefer something a little larger. Plus, all the GLK's will be 5+ years old by then, and I'd prefer 4 years or younger.

·
Registered
2007 SL550 (R230) and 2012 SClass Designo (W221)
33 Posts
Thanks for the “real world Consumer Report” Tires make a huge difference in driving experience no matter the car truck off road you drive.
Rudeness please keep us posted on vehicle replacement for your bride. I’m in the same boat. Evaluating solutions now

1 - 5 of 5 Posts