Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
CLK 430 Conv. 2000
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front tires on my 2000 clk430 conv. have worn out and it's time for me to change them.

They have about 20000 miles on them and they are almost bald. The original tire are Michelin Pilot sport sx MXX3.

But I guess Michelin don't make them anymore. I don't want to buy Michelin any ways since they are a bit pricy and the wear out very quickly ( I guess all Z rated tires do).

But I was wondering what are some other experiences with cheaper brand names like Kumho, Yokohama, or others have been?

The tire size is 225/45ZR17 90W

Any reocommendation on wear and tear, handling, noise, etc is appreciated.

·
Registered
C 230 Sport
184 Posts
Toyo's are good. They dont wear that fast and they are not that expensive....

Toyo's are good. They dont wear that fast and they are not that expensive.

·
Registered
CLK320
41 Posts
Use "H" Rated

Unless you plan on racing, use "H" rated tires instead of "Z". "H" max speed is 130 mph, "Z" is 149+ mph.

They are cheaper and last much longer.

-Bryan

·
Registered
CLK 430 Conv. 2000
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bridgestone Potenza s-03

I decided to go with the Bridstone Potenza s-03.

I read a lot of good reviews on the tire and seems like the best replacement.

thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
2013 E550 4Matic
32 Posts
Re: Bridgestone Potenza s-03

I decided to go with the Bridstone Potenza s-03.

I read a lot of good reviews on the tire and seems like the best replacement.

thanks for your replies.

What about the tire noise? I have a CLK55 and the noise drives me crazy. I had Blizzaks on this winter and it was silent. Please let me know how the S-03 is!

·
Registered
CLK 430 Cabriolet
4 Posts
Tire Tyme

I relatively new to CLK land, but have a Porsche 993 C4S parked next to my CLK as well as a bevy of BMW's that I've tried most the Z-Rated tires on over the years.

The S-02's / S-03's are a great tire! I have them on my Porsche right now. But the Michelin Pilot Sport is quieter and will retain it's grip longer than the Bridgies in my experience. This is not the old MXX3 tire, but the new generation Pilot Sport that is OEM on my '03 CLK Cab. I think it's the best tire on the market right now *IF* you don't mind paying the price and can handle the short life span.

I was an instructor for the AMG Driving Experience last August at Summit Point. All the AMG's were shod with the Pilot Sports and they were quite impressive, especially on the S and CL class cars where there was a lot of weight on the tires as we pitched them around the track.

The Pilot Sports have easy and progressive breakaways, balance up nicely, and are quiet. Once they get hot, they stick will in the corners quite well and tolerate heavy braking.

The old MXX3's were noisier and poor in the wet.

Bridgestones S-02's are notorious for deteriorating performance as they wore to the halfway point, especially on wet roads, but the new S-03 supposedly cures that issue.

·
Registered
08 gl320 cdi
46 Posts
My last S-03s were noisier than the Pilots and tramlined a lot...wear was about the same, ...

My last S-03s were noisier than the Pilots and tramlined a lot...wear was about the same, 12k on each set. The newer Pilot A/S is supposed to be a lot better tire than the OE Pilot Sports and are even cheaper at Tirerack, but I went with the T1-S this time and it seems to be a good choice so far. The handling is sufficient since I don't track or x-cross and they are quieter than the Bridgestones, have a higher treadwear rating, and even give me a 15 lb lower unsprung weight for the set. They might even have a lower rolling resistance too because my trip computer is showing a 0.5 to 1.0 increase in mpg over the last thousand miles.

·
Registered
CLK 430 Conv. 2000
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so far happy with the s-03

Since I've put them on, I do notice that they are a bit more noisy than the mxx3s I had on before.

But I have to say they do perform much better in corenering than the Michelin pilot sports.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts