Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the plugs on my '01 E320 this weekend and here's my tips.

Plan time, The job's not easy.
Get a pair of long plyers that are used to squeeze 1/2" holes at the end for pulling off the plug wires.
Have a 3" socket extention and a U flex adapter. There isn't much room to work.
Pull off the "coils" or whatever they call the boxes that the plug wires connect to. You need the room to get the plug wires off of the plugs.
Spray the plug wires with a little bit of silicon and they slide on nice and easy.
I used anti-sieze on the plugs to make the next change go better.

I changed mine at 105,000, but should have done it sooner as the performance was noticable.
GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
2008 BMW 528i,1999 Lexus 400LS, 2014 e250 BlueTec
635 Posts
It is very nice of you to share information. I am certain there would lot of people who would be interested in the information. That includes me, too.

Raymond

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree... nice info.

In another discussion (probably on another board) the question was asked about how to remove the top plastic engine cover - with no answer yet.

Can you comment on that, please?

Thanks,

Brian - Yakima, WA
2000 E320

·
Registered
2000 E430 1990 300CE
310 Posts
Getting the plastic engine cover off is easy. Just pull up on it firmly, and the clips will release. I believe there are 3 clips.

·
Registered
E320
153 Posts
Four on the V6 320, one under each corner. They're a push fit so you just lift up gently until each corner releases.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Did you buy plugs from the dealer? Or where? Can you give a number which can be used to order from an independant parts house of Internet source.

I've got 91,000 on the 2000 now and keep thinking about it.

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used Bosch double tip plugs that I got from the local parts dealer. The ones that came out were single tips. I asked a tech from MB and he told me that the doubles or new four tips were fine to use as long as they are Bosch.

·
Registered
10 GLK 350 4Matic
704 Posts
Someone forgot to add the important comment on torqueing the plugs in properly. I believe it's 16 lb/ft of torque.

I changed my set and the advise is good, but not having a torque wrench, I was very careful not to strip the threads since the heads are aluminum. Easy to do -- and a major hassle to fix.

I also used Anti-sneeze on the threads but didn't use a silicone spray on the boot. The next guy changing plugs may have the same fight I had removing the boots. I'm not sure what type of plier he is referring to, but I used a pair of 6" needle nose vise grips very carefully and they seemed to work. A short handled/flex handle socket wrench (3/8) seemed to do the trick when combined with an (old) non-ratcheting, but swivel jointed "breaker bar" type 3/8 handle -- 8-10 inches long for the torque needed to break free initially. Oh, yes, and using a 3" extension on the 5/8" rubber plug booted socket.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts