Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Tip for your 190's Grill

1132 Views 3 Replies 1 Participant Last post by  Guest (MBNZ)
Hey everyone, you have all helped me so much on here i figured i would give you a tip. Every 190 i see has either a faded or oxidized grill. mine use too. What i did was i went to a store, i went and bought Dupli-Color paint, color Ultra Platinum Silver. First i put 3 coats of general purpose primer, letting the coats completley dry between aplications. Then i applied roughly 10 coats of the Ultra Platinum Silver. let this dry COMPLETLEY!! It wont look like its shiny anymore but it will. Next i bought Dupli-Color High Performance Wheel Coating. This provides a clear glossy coating over your grill to protect against bugs and rocks. People go crazey with the stuff! I applied 15 coats letting in 2 sets. 8 coats at first letting the coatings between only become tacky. Then i let that stand for an hour, then i repeated the process for the last 7. Let this dry for atleast 4-5 hours. Then clear coat it With Dupli-Color Wheel Clear Coat. Apply 6 coats. Yes people its a lot of paint but you have no idea how beautiful the front of my 190 looks. I have a lot of family and friends who have 190's and 300's and they always tell me how much they want their grill to look like mine. I will be taking pictures soon.<br>
<br>
Extra Tips: Do this at night do all your priming and painting outside. Do your wheel coating and clear coating inside, KEEP THE BASEMENT DOOR SHUT. i almost made my mother pass out!.....<br>
<br>
Good luck people! hope to see more 190's with that great looking grill!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Ultra Platinum Silver Paint is a lighter metallic shade than what the OE grill color is. Thats why it looks so unique and clean... it doesnt matter, i had no idea how much cleaning up my grill and painting it would add to my car, it is such a drastic change in my opinion. Goodluck everyone

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what I need is...

I need to get a new plastic grill insert. Mine's got some broken places and it's scratched up around the hood release thing. Where can I find a new one for a relatively cheap price? The chrome on mine is beautiful, so don't need to change that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.