Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a UK SL350 around 5-6 years old.

I believe the gearbox options are seq auto and tip auto.
I understand the differences and will probably opt for the tip auto but can anyone tell me if there are any visible differences on the vehicle?
Having looked on classified pictures I can't see any difference around the shifter, so just wondering if there is anything distinguishable to save me a trip to a dealer or seller to find out it's the wrong gearbox option.

Also, does the log book state tip or sequential auto should I go and look at a car?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a UK SL350 around 5-6 years old.

I believe the gearbox options are seq auto and tip auto.
I understand the differences and will probably opt for the tip auto but can anyone tell me if there are any visible differences on the vehicle?
Having looked on classified pictures I can't see any difference around the shifter, so just wondering if there is anything distinguishable to save me a trip to a dealer or seller to find out it's the wrong gearbox option.

Also, does the log book state tip or sequential auto should I go and look at a car?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Matt
The MB has an automatic transmission. "Tip" is a reference to Porsche's Tiptronic, which is an automatic transmission where you can select which gear you want with the shifter. It will hold that gear, even bouncing off the redline, and only downshift it it has to. "Seq" is a reference to BMW's SMG, which is a manual transmission is activated by the paddles or shifter, with a hydraulically activated clutch (or two), originally found on the E46 M3.

The transmission in the MB is a full automatic, where you can "suggest" a gear by the shifter. If you select 1, the car will only use first gear to the redline. If you suggest 2, it will use 1st and 2nd. And so on. It will downshift by itself whenever it wants to. It's not nearly as fast as the BMW but still work in a pinch, usually a quick downshift. Has the same effect as flooring it to get a downshift. I find this transmission to be slow and poorly suited to my car, an SL55. It's very smooth, but I'd rather harder/faster shifts with no lag when clicking the paddle, especially during hard acceleration. After 3 years, I use the paddles about 1% of the time because they'e not nearly the immediate shift I would want if I clicked it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply teeth but in the UK we have two variants offered by MB: Seq auto & Tip auto (which I believe was a £600 option).

Maybe one of the UK members might be able to comment further.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts