Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I need to get the windows tinted 20% for my wife. I know that someone said you should get the felt installed to protect the tint from scratching.
The dealers tinter has never heard of felt which is not good. I person I had used in the past uses felt on the rubber seals which he said keeps dirt from stratching the tint. I have never had a car get that dirty except maybe the truck while offroading. I heard you want the felt on the rollers inside the doors. I sure do not trust a window tinter to dismantle my Mercedes!!!! I did a search and one guys said it was $350 for the tint and felt but he didnt say where they installed the felt. I have been quoted $200 by both and one uses the felt on the rubber seals. I am confused on to what I should do now. The dealers installer seamed more clue less then anyone I have talked too. Help!!! What has everyone else done?

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Check out this web site:

http://www.tintdude.com/forum/index.php?act=Search&CODE=simpleresults&sid=7c29b5059f5ce289bafadeb79e184d06&highlite=felt

On some Mercedes, including the SLK, felt is needed on the rollers to prevent from scratching the tint. The windows are fitted tight so adding the tint causes the rollers to scratch it. It has nothing to do with dirt.

I would go with an installer who knows about using the felt on the rollers. If you don't get the felt, then you will be replacing the scratched tint in no time so what money have you saved. In some cars they have to remove the door panel and in some cars I think they reach the rollers without doing that.

Huper Optic is the best tint. It is ceramic (non-metallic) and their installers know about the felt[8D]

·
Registered
slk350, iridium silver, ash interior,sport, light, sound, airscarf, wood interior,COMAND package
88 Posts
"FELT? WHAT FELT? I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THIS BEFORE. ROLLERS, WHAT ROLLERS?", said that guy whose company does all of the window tinting for the local MB dealership. So, help me out here folks, does this guy know what the heck he is talking about or is it sad that the local MB dealer, Park Place, does not know that he does not know what he is talking about. He claimed:
a) MUST remove both door panels to do tinting: $65/each
b) Huper Optic film: $389 after a $100 discount. Film use is Stark 40
c) Total: $519 before tax for the job. Isn't this price outrageous or is it within normal limit?

I would appreciate any guidance here. Thanks.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
arlmed - 3/28/2005 11:33 AM

"FELT? WHAT FELT? I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THIS BEFORE. ROLLERS, WHAT ROLLERS?", said that guy whose company does all of the window tinting for the local MB dealership. So, help me out here folks, does this guy know what the heck he is talking about or is it sad that the local MB dealer, Park Place, does not know that he does not know what he is talking about. He claimed:
c) Total: $519 before tax for the job. Isn't this price outrageous or is it within normal limit?

The door panels are typically not removed during tinting except when needed to install the felt on the rollers so I am curiuos as to why they are removing them if not to install the felt? Every tint person I have talked to in Southern Cal that does a lot of Mercedes knows about the need to use felt on some models. Not all Mercedes need felt installed but the SLK is one that does.

As for price, I have been quoted about the same price for Huper Optic (but without the discount). IMHO Huper Optic is the best and warrants the higher price.

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350 LE
240 Posts
I had Huper optic installed on my SLK. It was $340 including tax. They did not put felt. There are no scatches, after 5 months.

Looking good so far. I do notice that there is some grease streaks on the small windows behind driver seat after roof operation.

·
Registered
slk350, iridium silver, ash interior,sport, light, sound, airscarf, wood interior,COMAND package
88 Posts
malibuite - 3/28/2005 1:51 PM

The door panels are typically not removed during tinting except when needed to install the felt on the rollers so I am curiuos as to why they are removing them if not to install the felt? Every tint person I have talked to in Southern Cal that does a lot of Mercedes knows about the need to use felt on some models. Not all Mercedes need felt installed but the SLK is one that does.

As for price, I have been quoted about the same price for Huper Optic (but without the discount). IMHO Huper Optic is the best and warrants the higher price.
malibuite,
thanks for the input. He claimed that he has to "remove the panels to clean the weatherstrip(!)and to get the film underneath the strip". I am going to have to call around town for someone else since I don't have good vibes about this guy.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
arlmed - 3/28/2005 12:43 PM

malibuite,
thanks for the input. He claimed that he has to "remove the panels to clean the weatherstrip(!)and to get the film underneath the strip". I am going to have to call around town for someone else since I don't have good vibes about this guy.
I found my guy through a referral from the Huper Optic web site.

http://www.huperoptic.com/consumer_auto.cfm

I emailed Huper and asked who in my area would they recommend for auto tinting and they got back to me within 24 hours. The web site also has good info on the benefits of Huper other other tints.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
arlmed - 3/28/2005 12:43 PM

malibuite,
I just noticed you are in Texas. Huper Optic's US corporate office is in Houston. Why not give them a call or email and get a recommendation for one of their certified dealers.

Huper Optik USA
17356 Northwest Freeway
Houston, Texas 77040
Toll Free:888.296.FILM (3456)
Phone: 832-467-1170
Fax:832-467-1190
Email: [email protected]

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks to your link malibuite, I was able to touch base with them. They gave me the name of a distributor near my local who gave me a name of a guy who does residential window tinting not auto tinting unfortunately[:(] The lady there did not know of any auto tinting person and the boss was not in. I will call the boss of the distributing center tomorrow to see if he knows of any auto tinting guy. Thanks again for your guidance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts